Animal Shelter Foster Program Supervisor
- Experience Level
Responsible for implementation of Foster Care Program. Supervisor Foster staff. Develop and implement standard operating procedures for the department. Recruit foster volunteers. Develop training materials for fosters. Maintain database of foster information and produce reports as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Interview, hire, and train foster department staff.
- Provide staff with informal and formal performance feedback. Conduct performance reviews, counselling sessions, and discipline meetings as needed.
- Recruit foster volunteers and promote the foster program through social media, volunteer fairs, and other community events. Coordinate with Marketing department.
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures for the department. Train all staff and ensure procedures are followed.
- Train other Placement staff to back-up foster department as needed.
- Coordinate with Kennel Supervisors to identify foster matches. Meet dogs and evaluate personalities and special needs.
- Conduct home visits as part of the foster volunteer evaluation process. Document inspections as required by Department of Agriculture regulations.
- Develop training materials – manuals, videos, etc. – to be used in foster training. Work with Marketing & Communications staff as needed. Receive approval of all materials (content and presentation) from Shelter Director.
- Oversee the scheduling of foster training classes – bottle feeding, administering medications, house training, socializing, etc. Ensure department staff are prepared to conduct training classes.
- Ensure department database and spreadsheets are accurate and all records are undated and complete in a timely manner. Produce reports as requested.
- Work with Veterinary staff to schedule vaccines, surgery, appointments, etc.
- Participate in Placement department activities and back-up other areas if needed.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily
- Knowledge of animal behavior, habits, and husbandry.
- Animal handling skills for large and small animals.
- Considerable knowledge of animal welfare programs.
- Ability to prepare and maintain routine work records and reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must be available to work on weekends.
- Compassion for animals and owners
- Passion for serving the community
- Excellent customer service skills
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a shelter or kennel. At least one year of supervisory or management experience. Social service or community engagement experience a plus.
Employee must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to read and comprehend complex instructions, policies, procedures and regulations.
Must have the ability to explain and interpret a vast array of information and verify that the subordinate staff comprehends instructions given whether written or verbal. Employee must be flexible enough to look at situations from the perspective of another. Must be able to make decisions and take appropriate actions calmly in emergency and life threatening situations. Must be able to determine when emergency medical care is needed and administer basic first aid when needed. Must manage the staff fairly, effectively and efficiently and be a model for what you expect from your staff.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Georgia driver’s license and ability to meet insurance underwriting guidelines required.
While performing the duties of this job, employee may be exposed to loud noises and unpleasant sights and odors. Employee may have to handle sick, injured, stray, diseased or vicious animals.
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical Animal-related $30,000 - $39,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Animal Care Animal-related $30,000 - $39,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Program / Project Management Animal-related $30,000 - $39,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Volunteer Services Animal-related $30,000 - $39,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta