Human Resources Manager
- Experience Level
Covenant House builds a bridge to hope for young people facing homelessness and survivors of trafficking through unconditional love, absolute respect, and relentless support. Our doors are open 24/7 in 31 cities across six countries and our high-quality programs are designed to empower young people to rise and overcome adversity, today and in the future.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The primary function of the position is that of Human Resources Manager, responsible for administering, supervising, and developing a sound Human Resources Department based on the principles of human resource management. The Human Resources Manager reports directly to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partners with the leadership team to understand and execute the organization’s human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, retention, and succession planning.
- Manages employee relations issues, including investigating complaints and providing recommendations for solutions.
- Provides support and guidance to Covenant House Georgia (CHGA) staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations.
- Manages the talent acquisition process, which may include recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants, particularly for managerial, exempt, and professional roles; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings and oversee a central interviewing, hiring and screening process and maintenance of staff personnel files, assuring legal compliance.
- Works with benefit vendors to update services, monitor and ensure compliance with all regulations.
- Administers a benefit program to include health, dental, flexible benefits, deferred compensation and others as deemed appropriate. Ensures changes in benefit plans and open enrollment information are provided to all employees.
- Analyzes trends in compensation and benefits; researches and proposes competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent.
- Oversees the new hire orientation and onboarding process in collaboration with the leadership team.
- Creates learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees. This includes, but is not limited to, all training required for compliance audits.
- Maintains organizational compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains and shares knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Manages the recruitment/new hire process including scheduling and completing all new hire documents with new employees.
- Monitors Federal, State and local laws related to HR and respond appropriately; administer compliance with HR related laws: COBRA, ADA, FLSA, FLMA (When appropriate).
- Develops and maintains the performance appraisal systems and evaluation system; review all employee appraisal documents to insure objectivity and internal consistency.
- Reviews, develops and implements agency personnel policies and procedures as related to state and federal laws using Covenant House International corporate policies as a foundation.
- Develops and supports an ongoing program for staff supervision, trainings, professional development, and job performance recognition (including years of service and other recognition programs).
- Prepares HR related monthly and quarterly reports for Executive Director and Covenant House International corporate office as requested.
- Prepares required government reports including but not limited to Workers Compensation.
- Conducts all exit interviews, market surveys, and compensation analysis as needed.
- Cultivates relationships with Colleges and Universities for CHGA’s internship program.
- Responds to external calls and emails; responding to requests in a timely manner.
- Monitors TransAmerica alerts and emailing Finance Coordinator with updates.
- Maintains and monitors for accuracy all aspects of the Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and ADP.
- Completes reports and spreadsheets as assigned.
- Upholds Covenant House Georgia standards of conduct, policies and procedures at all times.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled or mandatory meetings as requested.
- Ability to:
- establish and maintain an effective working relationship with co-workers, supervisors, representatives of other agencies, and the public;
- be flexible and work as a team player;
- effectively communicates verbally with both internal and external individuals and/or businesses;
- work sitting, standing, and/or walking a minimum of eight hours per day/shift;
- lift and move items typically weighing 5-35 pounds.
- All other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY DUTIES: Supervises the Human Resources Assistant.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Master’s Degree in Human Resources or related field required; an HR certification such as with SHRM or HRCI is also desired; PC/Computer literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft Office. HRIS, ADP systems; strong organizational and leadership skills with the ability to coach / train staff; experience in the administration of benefits and compensation plans and other HR programs; knowledgeable in talent acquisition and recruitment processes and general knowledge of employment/labor laws and practices; ability to work in a team environment that is mission driven.