Digital Communications Manager
- Experience Level
Americans United for Separation of Church and State (AU) seeks a Digital Communications Manager for immediate hire. This position, which will report to the Vice President, Strategic Communications, will continue the development of and lead the organization’s social media communications and manage the new website, using a metrics-driven approach to expand, diversify and engage AU’s online community.
Building an Online Community of Advocates
Americans United plays a prominent role in the national debate over issues that have taken center stage in recent years, including discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, school prayer and vouchers.
In early 2018, AU welcomed current President and CEO Rachel Laser and has since finalized a new strategic plan with a significant Communications component, to understand, enlarge and intensify support for the organization and the cause of religious freedom. VP Strategic Communications Naomi Paiss was hired in 2020, and the organization has now completed in-depth audience and message research and is partway through a year’s effort to completely rebrand and reposition the organization. A new website is also under development, to debut in early 2022.
As part of our ongoing strategy, the organization is seeking a visionary with enough technical experience and political instincts to hit the ground running and re-imagine our digital approach. The Digital Communications Manager will take our digital strategy to the next level and build a program that will expand AU’s presence on social media, as well as improve and maintain our website; and engage, educate and mobilize a new generation of AU members, supporters and advocates in our mission.
The responsibilities of the Digital Communications Manager include:
Develop and Implement Strategy for Social Media Platforms:
- Create a steady stream of creative content for all social media platforms (primarily Twitter, Instagram, Facebook), ensuring that our messaging is on brand, easy to understand, captures our research results and is targeted to specific audiences and digital platforms. Working with consultants and colleagues, further the development of long-term social media strategy to increase and diversity follower bases.
- As part of larger Communications, Policy and Outreach efforts, develop social media campaigns for high-profile public policy efforts, statewide legislative battles, legal cases and other organizational priorities. Develop and implement digital component for holistic Communications campaigns and work with E-mail Marketing Manager on strategies for increasing file of supporters.
- Identify additional opportunities for innovative and engaging content for social platforms including videos, graphics, polls, charts, etc.
- Develop proactive strategy to increase engagement on Twitter including identifying opportunities to engage with coalition partners and influencers, participate or host Twitter Town Halls, and participate in breaking news/trending national conversations related to our issues.
- Utilize analytics to boost engagement and followers on all digital platforms, as well as use metrics to measure success, shifting strategy when necessary.
- Identify opportunities to activate or strengthen additional/emerging digital platforms to broaden and diversify our online community.
- Work closely with AU’s Creative Manager to create visually compelling and shareable graphics and videos that are on brand and on message.
Create Online Community of Advocates:
- Develop engaging social media campaigns to mobilize advocates and promote action around organizational priorities and issues.
- Identify opportunities to increase our advocacy and development efforts through digital advertising and other means, and engage new advocates and supporters in the digital media landscape.
Manage and Upgrade Website and web content:
- Update and manage AU’s website, finding new ways to engage our online community. In first year, work with an outside firm and the VP of Strategic Communications to create new website on WordPress, ensure new website is technically modern and reflects new branding and audience research.
- Collaborate with AU’s Creative Manager to use the new branding to create a cohesive online brand for the organization in look, feel and tone. Ensure that website is message- and content consistent with social media, outreach campaigns and other AU platforms.
- Help develop and publish new content to keep website fresh, identify problems and work with colleagues and vendors on quick solutions.
- Identify opportunities and develop content and strategy for paid digital advertising.
The Digital Communications Manager will be an innovative and strategic communicator who understands the digital media landscape, with a proven track record of advocating on controversial and political issues. The candidate should possess the following specific qualifications:
- Minimum of 3-5 years professional social media experience with a proven set of technical skills in diverse platforms.
- Experience working with an advocacy organization, on Capitol Hill or a political campaign, and in translating complex issues for a public audience.
- Proven track record of growing a brand’s audience and boosting loyalty and advocacy actions through social media.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree required, formal studies in History, Political Science, Government or Communications preferred.
- Experience with online performance measurement and impact analysis tools, such as Google Analytics, required.
- Ability to research, identify and target key audiences and stakeholders, and use online listening tools to identify moments and drive quality engagement.
- Experience with social media management tools (Hootsuite or Sprout), CMS (WordPress preferred), HTML and SEO required.
- Experience editing video, photo and text; proficiency with Adobe creative software such as Illustrator and Photoshop highly preferred.
- Experience managing digital paid media and SEM campaigns.
- Experience in cross-departmental or organization-wide project management.
- Ability to take complex, wonky policy jargon and convert it into compelling and engaging social media content for various audiences. Specifically, understanding the difference in messaging between users on different platforms.
- Can plan and manage under a tight deadline and ability to multitask and be flexible and effective in fast-paced and high-pressure situations.
- Ability to manage up and work effectively with senior colleagues in the organization.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings, for rapid response and continuous social media content.
- Sensitivity to content and excellent written language skills.
- The ideal candidate is a team player but can work independently day-to-day and takes initiative quickly.
- A creative, politically savvy and eager digital guru who is equal parts professional and fun to work with; culture and leadership both matter.
- Inclination toward innovative, edgy and inspirational content but with a deep respect for AU’s past and expertise, and with an ability to adapt to keep pace with the times.
- Support and passion for church-state separation issues with a worldview that aligns with AU's mission.
About Americans United for Separation of Church and State
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is a nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to advancing the constitutional principle of church-state separation as the only way to ensure freedom of religion, including the right to believe or not believe, for all of us. Founded in 1947, Americans United is a diverse and dynamic organization composed of people from all walks of life: lawyers and lobbyists, students and activists, religious leaders and impassioned Americans. AU includes people of faith and people who don’t profess any particular faith. It is a community that includes and welcomes people of all genders, races, ethnicities, religions or beliefs, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, classes and abilities. AU values diversity and diverse perspectives.
Americans United uses high-impact litigation, powerful lobbying and grassroots advocacy to ensure that:
- Religion does not dictate public policy.
- The government does not tell Americans what to believe or how to practice their faith.
- Discrimination is not justified under the guise of religious beliefs.
Through a strong, diverse national supporter network, both on the ground and online, AU defends the separation of church and state and protects religious freedom for all in communities across the country. Americans United is a 501(c)(3) organization and is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
Competitive Salary and Generous Benefits: Salary is $70,000-$85,000 commensurate with experience. Americans United offers a comprehensive benefit package including health care, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability, 401(k) with match and commuter subsidy.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. No calls, please.