- Experience Level
100 Black Men of America, Inc.
Founded in 1963, the mission 100 Black Men of America, Inc. (The 100) is to improve the quality of life within our communities and enhance educational and economic opportunities for all African Americans.
We do this by serving as a beacon of leadership by utilizing our diverse talents to create environments where our children are motivated to achieve and empower our people to become self-sufficient shareholders in the economic and social fabric of the communities we serve.
Revenues: $5-10 million
For more information, please visit www.100blackmen.org
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director both supports the Board of Directors and the Executive Director's fundraising activities and is a key fundraiser responsible for expanding and diversifying the organization's funder base. The candidate shall also serve as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting The 100. In partnership with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help source, cultivate, and forge foundation, corporate & individual relationships to build The 100’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Development Director also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for strategic partnerships that demonstrate the value of investing in the 100.
The Development Director will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow beyond a $5-10M budget and activate donor requests through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, corporate, foundation and individual support.
The successful candidate will retain, expand, and diversify The 100’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. The successful candidate must understand the concept of activation costs as a part of development activities. In addition, the Development Director will work closely with the Chairman of the Board and support the Chairman's active fundraising role.
- Actively partner with the Chairman of the Board, Executive Director, senior staff and related board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with the Chairman of the Board, Executive Director, senior staff and related board members to develop and implement The 100’s funding strategy and conference and meeting activations
- Collaborate with other members of the team (e.g., programs, finance, events, etc.) to ensure proper documentation, activation, reporting, and implementation associated with donor support
- Grant & proposal writing and follow up (including post-activation reports) to donors and supporters
- Actively work with the Chairman of the Board, Executive Director, senior staff and related board members to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individual, corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position The 100 ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leadership
- Develop and implement a comprehensive stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with all donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Cross-training in other departments will be an integral part of this position
- Support of the annual meetings to ensure its success
- Support chapter fundraising efforts
- Train chapter leadership on successful fundraising strategies
- Travel domestically approximately 40% of the time
- 5+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated and proven success in a senior level development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Raised a minimum of $3M annually on consistent basis
- Has an established national network that will support fundraising goals
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Proficient in internet and app based fundraising initiatives and campaigns
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational, time management and follow through skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels within and outside The 100
- Bachelor's degree required (Master's degree preferred)
- High energy and passion for The 100’s mission is essential
- Customer focus
- A professional and resourceful style; with the ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at one time
- Ability to manage donor database systems proactively and robustly; knowledge of fundraising software
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including conflict resolution skills
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills, with a demonstrated ability to influence and engage subordinates and peers
- Self-reliant, good problem-solver, and results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communication skills
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising and development initiatives
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Willing to roll up his/her sleeves; not dependent upon an army of support staff
- Unimpeachable ethical standards, confidentiality, and personal integrity
While the above is a description of the essential functions of the position, other duties may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at the discretion of management.