Accounting Associate, Finance
- Position Type
- Full Time
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Accounting Associate is a key member of the Finance team in its efforts to support the organization’s activities. This is an opportunity for a trustworthy and energetic individual eager to be in the middle of the financial workings of Ceres. While the day-to-day work includes a significant amount of information gathering and data entry, there will be ample opportunity to help shape and implement financial policies and procedures and grow professionally. The Accounting Associate reports to the Accounting Manager. This position is full-time and based in our Boston, MA office. We are currently working from home and there may be an opportunity for a hybrid home/office work week once the offices reopen.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as a resource to Ceres staff, contractors, and sub-grantees to distribute and explain materials related to finance policies and procedures.
- Serve as a resource to Ceres staff for Abacus Expense Management and Abacus Travel; responsible for making administrative changes and updates in Abacus related to staffing changes and finance policies. Perform any necessary follow up for missing or incomplete information.
- Maintain current finance documents on the Ceres’ server and organizational database.
- Review staff credit card expenses and staff reimbursement requests through the Abacus Expense Management system. Check financial coding, ensure finance policies have been met, and approve expenses for integration into the Intacct accounting system
- Collect, submit and process invoices from vendors through the AVIDxChange system.
- Enter applicable journal entries into Intacct, including Prepaid or Accrued entries, to be reviewed by the Accounting Manager.
Vendor and Contract Management
- Onboard all new vendors in Intacct; performing any necessary follow up for missing or incomplete information.
- Monitor the contract application portal, reviewing all data fields for accuracy and completeness and following up with staff as needed on missing information and approvals.
- Assure all signed contracts are loaded into the contract application system and logged on the server.
- Monitor daily bank remittances, categorizing and recording the deposits in Intacct as well as updating Ceres’ Salesforce customer database.
- Complete reconciliations between the banking deposits and the customer database.
- Prepare monthly Aging reports for the Finance Team’s review. Follow up on outstanding Membership Dues payments.
- Schedule monthly budget to actual meetings with budget managers and finance team; download reports from Intacct; edit and format reports and upload to the Ceres’ server and organizational database prior to meetings.
- Assist in creating and updating spreadsheets for the annual budget process.
- Assist the Controller in gathering information and preparing schedules for the annual audit, as requested.
- Update weekly Monday morning staff memo for finance priorities and any finance deadlines.
- Research and update financial information for Network Members using the Bloomberg Terminal.
- Schedule grant projection meetings and Finance Committee meetings and take notes in these meetings.
- Provide support to Chief Financial Officer
Engage in special projects as time permits.
- At least two to three years of relevant work experience, required
- Office experience required, preferably with some accounting or bookkeeping
- Working knowledge of accounting, business or related discipline
- Proficiency with Intacct a plus
- Accounts Payable experience a plus
- Abacus Expense or other expense management systems experience a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (strong Excel user) and Google Docs
- Experience with Salesforce, a plus
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to evaluate workload and prioritize projects
- Highly detail-oriented
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Discretion in working with confidential information
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet deadlines
- Interest and willingness to be trained on data systems and tools for necessary work.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.