- Experience Level
To help transform the social and economic conditions in South Los Angeles that foster addiction, crime, violence and poverty by building a community institution capable of involving thousands in creating, influencing and changing public policy.
Community Coalition (CoCo) is a non-profit social justice organization working to address social and economic conditions in South LA by empowering residents to fight for policy solutions that build up the community. Since 1990, Community Coalition has built a groundbreaking, community-driven approach to creating change. We elevate the voices of our members, shift power to the community, and tackle the root causes of poverty, crime and violence. Together we are creating a more prosperous, safer and healthier South LA.
Community Coalition’s projects and victories include stopping the expansion of liquor stores in South LA, supporting gang violence prevention programs, creating foster and family care support programs, hosting art and music festivals and healthcare enrollment fairs. Community Coalition has also registered and mobilized thousands of voters in South LA, participated in the process to create a federal Promise Zone for South Los Angeles and creates leadership opportunities for young people with the South Central Youth Empowered through Action program and Freedom School, among other projects. Community Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, religions, and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Human Resources Manager is charged with managing the administration of the human resources policies, procedures and programs in the areas of recruitment and hiring, employee orientation and training, policy development & documentation, employee relations, performance management and benefits administration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
- Recruitment, Hiring and Onboarding
- Identify organizations & individuals for active and strategic recruitment
- Maximize use of online portals to ensure CoCo job opportunities are widely accessible to desired candidate pools
- Manage onboarding and orientation infrastructure for full-time, part-time and temporary hires
- Coordinate the job interview process for all departments
- Ensure updated job descriptions for every position
- Facilitate and coordinate quarterly new employee orientations
- Ensures that employees receive sexual harassment & other required trainings
- Employee Relations and Performance Management
- Conducts investigations when employee grievances are raised
- Conducts exit interviews upon employee transitions from organization
- Advises supervisors about the steps in the organizational progressive discipline system and tracks formal disciplinary measures
- Manages the annual evaluation process in collaboration with the Director of Human Resources
- Benefits Administration
- Ensures smooth administration of benefits with third party administrators
- Tracks vacation, sick time, personal leave, and family leave time.
- Familiarity with South Los Angeles and issues impacting the community
- Familiarity with human resources best practices and systems
- Knowledge of proper telephone and e-mail etiquette
- Knowledge of proper English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Experience with putting together a big-picture strategy, as well as the ability to execute details successfully
- Skill in independently prioritizing, planning, coordinating, organizing, leading and monitoring multiple organizational projects of a complex nature simultaneously and quickly adapting to changes in time frames
- Skill in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing
- Experience managing staff or volunteers in a professional setting
- Highly effective organizational and time management skills
- Skill in researching and analyzing issues and offering creative solutions
- Exemplary customer service skills including the ability to identify needs, provide prompt response, and exercise patience, respect and professionalism in all interactions
- Highly proficient computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and email applications