Director of Finance
- Experience Level
To help transform the social and economic conditions in South Los Angeles that foster addiction, crime, violence and poverty by building a community institution capable of involving thousands in creating, influencing and changing public policy.
Community Coalition is a non-profit social justice organization working to address social and economic conditions in South LA by empowering residents to fight for policy solutions that build up the community. Since 1990, Community Coalition has built a groundbreaking, community-driven approach to creating change. We elevate the voices of our members, shift power to the community, and tackle the root causes of poverty, crime and violence. Together we are creating a more prosperous, safer and healthier South LA. Community Coalition’s projects and victories include stopping the expansion of liquor stores in South LA, supporting gang violence prevention programs, creating foster and family care support programs, hosting art and music festivals and healthcare enrollment fairs. Community Coalition has also registered and mobilized thousands of voters in South LA, participated in the process to create a federal Promise Zone for South Los Angeles and creates leadership opportunities for young people with the South Central Youth Empowered through Action program and Freedom School, among other projects. Community Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, religions, and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Vice President and in close collaboration with the. Executive Team and Board of Directors, the Director of Finance will manage and oversee the finance department, including but not limited to: the development and implementation of accounting systems, financial projecting and forecasting, audit procedures, budgeting process, and capital projects. The Director of Finance will lead the budget and financial analysis for Community Coalition and will institute strong controls functions to ensure efficiency. This position will coordinate with external auditors to produce relevant information and will lead initiatives that promote compliance and accuracy in the accounts receivable, payable, reimbursement, and other financial activities. S/He will supervise the Accounting Manager and Staff Accountant, and will partner with the Development team to track and support the grant development process and reconcile major gifts. This position will also partner with the Executive Team to provide monthly updates on organizational and departmental budgets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
1. Oversee all budget, accounting functions, policy development and systems creation for the finance department.
2. Develop statements and reports for the Board of Directors and Executive Team, and all. external parties.
3. Creates annual financial plans to ensure sustainability, growth and efficiency.
4. Serves as the contact for all auditing procedures.
5. Implements new tracking mechanisms for unrestricted revenue management.
6. Supports capital development projects to increase Community Coalition impact.
7. Collaborates with the Executive Team and Board of Directors to enhance internal controls.
8. Coordinates with department leads to set department budgets, control spending and. monitor cash flow.
9. Ensures compliance with all legal mandates related to accounting, budget and finance.
• Familiarity with South Los Angeles and issues impacting the community
• Skills in independently prioritizing, planning, coordinating, organizing, leading and monitoring multiple organizational projects of a complex nature simultaneously and quickly adapting to changes in time frames
• Exemplary customer service skills including the ability to identify needs, provide prompt response, and exercise patience, respect and professionalism in all interactions
• Budget Forecasting
• Financial Records Maintenance
• Public and Private Foundation Grant Management
• Knowledge of Accounting Software
• CPA Preferred