- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Foundations Associate works under the supervision of the Director of Foundation Relations to help the entire Foundations Relations Team function efficiently.
The core priorities for this role include coordinating and facilitating regular retreats, meetings, training, and resources for a large and geographically distributed team; facilitating onboarding and hiring processes; providing general administrative support to the Director, Deputy Director and Associate Director of Foundation Relations and occasional support to other members of the team; and working collaboratively across teams inside and outside the Development Department to ensure that internal resources are accessible and processes run smoothly.
The Team Development Associate for Foundations performs a variety of administrative tasks including but not limited to meeting, travel, and venue logistics and scheduling, tracking and maintaining expense budgets, writing and copy-editing assignments, and coordinating the many team-wide projects that the team’s leadership is currently implementing.
This position requires a self‐starter who is able to work both collaboratively and independently and possesses strong interpersonal skills. The position requires excellent writing and analytical skills, diplomacy and discretion, and the ability to adapt and think creatively.
The Foundations Associate must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and be highly detail‐oriented.
This role can be located in San Francisco, New York, or remote.
- Provide administrative support to the Foundations leadership team (Director, Deputy Director, Associate Director), and Foundations Officers including travel, meeting scheduling, and other forms of support, as needed.
- Coordinate weekly team meetings – including preparing the agenda with the team leadership, ensuring openers and facilitators are informed, materials shared in advance and follow-ups shared with the team.
- Help organize the team’s quarterly non-work gatherings, bi-annual retreat, and celebrations.
- Partner with the team leadership to design and facilitate annual team planning processes.
- Monitor and maintain oversight of the team’s communications and productivity tools such as MS teams, SharePoint, shared drives and Zoom.
- Support hiring managers on the hiring and onboarding of new staff.
- Participate in department and organizational work teams and projects, as needed.
- Provide project-management support for the team leadership.
- Help foster communication between the Foundations Team, the wider Development team, and the organization at large.
- Seek opportunities to foster and sustain healthy team culture, teambuilding, and implementation of best practices for geographically distributed teams in partnership with the team leadership.
- Assist with processing vendor invoices as needed.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Support Partnership Fundraising 20%
- Support the Deputy Director of Foundation Relations in efforts related to community-centric and partner fundraising, including scheduling calls, doing basic research, tracking outreach and funding resources, tracking $$ raised and other related duties.
Support for Foundation Officers 30%
- Assist the writing team with coordinating writing requests.
- Assist with mailings of proposals, reports, and annual reports.
- Create, maintain, and update library of mailing lists to support stewardship efforts.
- Create, maintain, and update library of supporting documents like staff bios, board lists, & basic org. statistics.
- Proofread and edit fundraising materials as requested.
- Help draft prep memos for foundation meetings.
- Assist with donor stewardship, solicitation, and event processes at high volume times as needed.
- Assist with proposal and report development for Foundation Officers as needed.
- Minimum Associate's degree (2 year degree from a community college), Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Two years’ experience in fundraising, office coordination or an executive setting preferred.
- Exemplary organizational skills including ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Superior communication skills, including demonstrated experience writing effective correspondence.
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude. Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and Outlook. Database management skills required with ability to produce reports and to use advanced functions, including sophisticated knowledge of the Internet.
- Working knowledge of a constituent relationship management (CRM) system or donor database such as the Raiser’s Edge or Blackbaud eCRM is preferred.
- Ability to use discretion and diplomacy in dealing with donors, colleagues, and confidential litigation information.
- Background and/or interest in environmental issues preferred.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA and New York: $57,400 - $63,800
Salary range will vary for remote locations.
Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite:
- Cover letter.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles:We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.