Development Director, Movement Building
- Position Type
- Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Start Date: May 1, 2021
Reports to: Senior Development Director
The National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA, www.domesticworkers.org) is the nation’s leading voice for respect, recognition and labor standards for domestic workers. Through leadership development, strategic campaigns and alliance building, we seek to help build a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents over 60 affiliates in more than 30 cities. NDWA’s sister organization, Care in Action was founded in 2014 to advance the civil rights and socio-economic well-being of domestic workers, including nannies, housekeepers, and care workers, as well as other low-income women workers, women of color and immigrant women throughout the country. Care in Action provides tools and training on civic engagement and organizing to make their voices heard.
NDWA seeks a dedicated and visionary Development Director to develop and implement a fundraising strategy for the movement building program and activities led by NDWA and Care In Action, including c3 and c4 civic engagement, immigration policy advocacy and the Families Belong Together campaign.
- Serve as a member of the Development Team to implement the overall fundraising and development plan for NDWA and its sister entities.
- Support NDWA in defining how its development and programmatic strategies align and intersect to build a more powerful alliance and movement.
- Act as a thought partner to the NDWA Civic Engagement Director / Care In Action Executive Director on specific development strategies to build a strong and diverse revenue stream for the movement building portfolio and meet annual goals.
- Coordinate with the NDWA Executive Director, the Senior Development Director, and the Director of Individual Giving on development strategies and outreach to donors giving across entities.
- Lead on developing materials to articulate that intersection for various audiences, including concept notes, presentations, and research briefs.
- Partner with the Executive Directors to NDWA and Care In Action, Senior Development Director, FBT Director, and other lead staff in cultivating relationships with funders and donors.
- Supervise the Development Manager who is responsible for grants management for the c3/4 civic engagement programs.
- Collaborate with the Development Writer who is responsible for grants management for the Families Belong Together campaign.
- Participate in other activities as needed, especially organization-wide activities such as retreats, monthly meetings and staff study.
- Travel Requirement: 10%
- At least 6 years of experience leading a multi-faceted development programs, with experience preferred in multiple business models and c4 and/or political fundraising
- Experience in building a development infrastructure to serve organizational goals and objectives
- Experience and demonstrated ability in developing concept notes and writing proposals for emerging areas of work
- Experience preferred in building a comprehensive individual donor program, including: cultivating donor relationships, soliciting and securing major gifts from individual donors
- Ability to prepare effective messages for donors, including the use of electronic communications
- Agreement and alignment with NDWA’s vision and values
- Excellent communication and writing skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and in partnership as part of a rapidly growing organization
- Understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours
- Proficiency with computer operations and programs; experience with Salesforce preferred
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to https://domesticworkers.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=163. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. This position will remain open until filled.