Major Gifts Officer
- Experience Level
Major Gifts Officer, Full-time
Grassroots International seeks an experienced individual to work as an active member of our Development Team. The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing cultivation strategies to meet the organization’s major gift fundraising goals. The position is full-time and will be based in Boston, MA.
Grassroots International works in partnership with social movements to create a just and sustainable world by advancing the human rights to land, water, and food through global grantmaking, building solidarity across organizations and movements, and advocacy in the US. We envision a world in which a universal commitment to the health and well-being of the earth and all its peoples, fueled by successful global movements for economic and climate justice, has transformed production practices, consumption patterns, and economic and social relations to ones based on sustainability, equity, and the rights to land, food, and water. Our partnerships recognize that change is successful only when people in their own communities organize to confront the root causes of their societal problems.
1. Work in partnership with the development team to create a fundraising plan which is tailored to individual major donors, mid- and high-end prospects.
2. Maintain a donor portfolio of individual Major donors and provide support to the ED to manage their portfolio. 3. Coordinate moves management donor pipeline system.
4. Organize educational opportunities, such as delegations or learning immersion programs, to deepen the knowledge, commitment, and giving of major donors.
5. Integrate and engage in planned giving requests and training. Support other staff and Board in understanding, cultivating, and securing planned gifts. Maintain an understanding of best practices in the field. Integrate the planned giving program into a goal of every donor visit, when possible and appropriate.
6. Maintain an efficient system for the collection of internal information, such as donor research, short-term, and long-term goals, donor visit results, and communications going back and forth between donors and GRI board and/or staff in both The Raiser’s Edge and in hard copy.
7. Keep abreast of trends in giving and philanthropy. Share and apply best practices to help inform the growth and success of Grassroots' fundraising programs.
8. Work closely with the senior staff, board, and Development staff on coordinating fundraising opportunities and informing the Department’s annual budget development process. J
Required Qualifications: ● Commitment to the mission of Grassroots International; demonstrated commitment to human rights, ecological justice, and social movements or community organizing. ● Proven track record in successful Major Gift fundraising. Success in cultivating, soliciting, and closing mid- and high-end gifts. Demonstrated ability to communicate the program and mission to internal and external audiences. ● Ability to work as part of a team in a mission-driven and culturally diverse organization. ● High level of self-organization with close attention to detail. ● Extensive knowledge of fundraising best practices and strategies. ● Flexibility and capacity to travel domestically and internationally (when it’s safe to do so), including maintenance of a valid passport; availability for some evening or weekend events. ● Authorization to work in the United States. ● Ability to sit at a desk and work on a computer for prolonged periods of time.
Preferred Qualifications: ● Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, SALSA, and The Raiser's Edge ● At least three years experience working with individual donors ● Experience with intermediary funders ● Experience with Grassroots International partners and allies ● Experience coordinating volunteers and fundraising teams
Compensation: Full-time position; starting salary $60,244 - $70,875 DOE; excellent benefits, including health, dental, disability, paid sick time and vacation, and retirement.
To Apply: Send resume and a cover letter to: MGO@grassrootsonline.org with MGO and YOUR NAME in the subject line. In your cover letter, please be sure to explain one aspect of Grassroots International’s mission that is particularly compelling to you and why. No phone calls please. Position open until filled.
Grassroots International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Black people, indigenous people, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ and gender nonconforming individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We actively recruit, and support the retention and advancement of, persons of diverse backgrounds within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and membership with diverse identities and backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive. To that end, we are committed to fostering a workplace culture where all employees are equally included, valued, and supported.
Authorization to work in the United States is required.