Special Events Coordinator
- Position Type
- Full Time
POSITION TITLE: Special Events Coordinator
Supervised by: Director of Development
About the Position
Full-time position in the Development Department of a fast-paced, stable nonprofit organization focusing on youth development and education. The ideal match will be responsible for recruitment and retaining volunteers, community outreach and lead planning and execution of Agape Fundraising and Community Outreach Events including an annual Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast, The Great Backpack Giveaway, Extreme Bedroom Makeover, and The Agape Holiday Gift Store. This position will report to the Director of Development. The Coordinator is also required to operate consistently within the program standards, mission, and guidelines as outlined by the Agape Youth and Family Center’s Policy Manual.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit potential volunteers by attending various college and corporate placement fairs. Ensure that volunteer placements are appropriate for the volunteers and the agency.
- Communicate with other departments within Agape to understand volunteer needs and develop partnerships.
- Generate appropriate volunteering opportunities based on the needs of Agape.
- Promote volunteering (internally and externally) through recruitment and publicity strategies and campaigns (in collaboration with Marketing efforts).
- Monitor, support, motivate and accredit volunteers and their work
- Conduct agency tours and provide historical and programmatic information of interest to community stakeholders and volunteers.
- Create annual calendar for and execute orientations/information sessions, in coordination with the training schedule.
- Plan appreciation/recognition events for volunteers and coordinate volunteer meetings.
- Perform development department general administrative support.
- Ensures the integrity of data and supports the Development team.
- Other duties as assigned.
1. Serving as a collaborative member of the Agape staff and development team
2. Responsible for planning and implementing in-person and virtual organizational fundraising and community-wide events.
3. Manage event registration process.
4. Plan fundraising efforts and track progress throughout the event term.
5. Solicit, cultivate and manage new and current donor relations to support events.
6. Helping to solicit in-kind donations and corporate partnerships.
7. Conduct site visits and manage vendor relations for successful event execution
8. Work closely with the marketing team and graphic designers on the creation of copy of event websites and publications to increase and enhance event visibility in the community.
9. Supporting event chairs and committee members by:
- Serve as Agape point of contact, providing professionally crafted communications and up to date information as needed.
- Track host committee member participation and provide follow up
- Keep track of event pledges and payments by category
- Manage event details and volunteer recruitment event software
- Respond with professional immediacy to all event chair, host committee and attendee communications
10. Track financial and in-kind support for ongoing events and provide reports weekly or as requested. Provide year-to-year, comparative, post-event reports for each event.
11. Plan and coordinate other events as needed
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2-4 years’ experience, or 4 years proven related experience in communications, education, community outreach, social services, or related field
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of underserved populations a plus.
- Strong leadership skills, organizational abilities and ability to be patient and calm in stressful situations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be sensitive to the challenges of underserved families, and have the ability and desire to work with people of different ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- A self-motivated team player with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills to deal with a variety of personalities in a positive manner.
- Previous experience recruiting volunteers and coordinating events.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus, not required.