- Experience Level
The Voter Protection Program (VPP), a nonpartisan organization focused on the critical role states play in election protection, is hiring a Policy Director. The VPP Policy Director or Legislative Director will provide leadership and thought partnership to the SVP, CEO, and Executive Chair and oversee VPP’s core policy and legislative program focused on state activity. VPP is a recently launched and rapidly growing organization, and the Policy Director will play a significant role in defining VPP’s vision and work for 2021 and beyond.
The Policy Director will engage with the team and coalition partners to develop a strategy that will achieve VPP’s mission at the state level. This includes promoting voting rights and democracy protection through policy proposals, legislative proposals, and advocacy in a variety of states. The Policy Director will be required to have successful experience in building and executing long-term strategic vision through flexible tactical operations and experience leading and managing efforts in a variety of states.
- Team Building
- Help hire and develop a team of policy associates.
- Build a team of state-based policy analysts and consultants as needed.
- Develop and adapt procedures to link the growing internal staff with the potential network of outside resources and coalition partners.
- Foster a seamless diverse and inclusive team culture between leadership and staff and throughout VPP.
- Policy and Legislative Development & Advocacy
- Collaborate with the team--including our SVP, CEO, and Board Chair--to design a strategy for tracking, analyzing, and implementing solutions in target states and at the federal level around voting rights, election law, redistricting, and other election related issues.
- Draft and implement state and federal legislative and advocacy strategies.
- Conduct research, draft memos, and analysis on policies and legislative proposals, draft model legislation, draft testimony, provide ongoing analysis of policy and legislative actions, and be the strategic and quality control hub for editing and reviewing policy and legislative materials.
- Monitor legislative and messaging patterns across multiple states, including actions taken by State Executives (i.e. Governors, AGs, Secs of State) to develop “best practices” and comprehensive advocacy plans.
- Play a lead role in establishing VPP as a valuable voice among various coalitions, as well as an essential source of policy advice and resources to key constituencies.
- Plan for proactive policy engagement, including building relationships with key partners and stakeholders, engage in public events, and draft policy position papers.
- Provide expertise to VPP leadership on political matters, focusing on how local and state activities impact policy decisions.
- Manage, mentor, and develop a team of policy analysts, including regular performance reviews and ensuring opportunities for growth.
- Manage external policy and advocacy consultants.
- Ensure a strategy and actionable plan for stewarding the policy team during remote work, without regular, face-to-face meetings.
- Oversee policy campaigns in collaboration with internal teams.
- Support the organization’s emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- 10 plus years of experience working on policy issues at the state and/or federal levels; some experience working at state level required.
- Experience monitoring and engaging in policy and legislation, including advocacy, at the state level.
- Experience with state legislation and in-depth knowledge of state legislative bodies and activities.
- Experience managing programs and legislative advocacy campaigns.
- JD and legal or legislative experience a plus.
- Direct work with state officials a plus.
- Experience successfully managing and mentoring staff, including internal and external teams, to build and maintain a collaborative and productive work environment.
- Experience partnering with senior staff to accomplish goals across departments.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a sometimes intense and highly charged setting.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to see the need to course correct.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, including drafting and editing legislation and policy proposals and reviewing/editing the work of others.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.
Offices will be in DC, but this position can be remote in the long-term.
Voter Protection Program is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, "Policy Director".