- Degree Level
POSITION TITLE: Senior Accountant
REPORTS TO: Assistant Controller
OVERVIEW: Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta (“Federation”) is continuing to build a diverse team of highly motivated and qualified individuals with a variety of skill sets to create a new model of 21st century community engagement and philanthropy. Federation is looking for candidates who are forward-thinking, motivated, customer service focused, have a positive attitude and enjoy working in an inclusive, fast-paced environment.
Under the supervision of the Controller and Assistant Controller and working closely with a variety of Federation departments, the Senior Accountant will share responsibility for overseeing Federation’s day-to-day accounting, including a scholarship fund program, in a complex organization.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTION: Responsible for timely and accurate accounting for restricted and unrestricted operating funds, including reconciliation and closing. Oversee cash and stock transactions as well as daily reconciliation of pledge receivables. Assist and cross-train on other areas of the Finance department as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure completeness, timeliness, and accuracy for day-to-day general ledger accounting
- Daily accounting and recording of cash receipts
- Daily reconciliation of pledge receivables, related allowance, and unapplied payment accounts
- Daily management of incoming stock contributions
- Accounting and financial reporting of restricted funds
- Grant management, including revenue recognition and deferred revenue
- Ongoing management of Federation credit cards (P-Card)
- Reconciliation of bank accounts
- Prepare account reconciliations, including research and resolution of open items
- Cross-train with other accounting department team members
- Assist with preparation of annual budget and quarterly forecast
- Responsible for month-end, quarter-end and year-end close
- Support year-end audit
- Tax return preparations including Form 990 and Form 5500 and assist as needed for Federation
- Collaborate with other departments, community members, and donors in a friendly and professional manner
- Promote the mission of Federation through superior customer service and the efficient use and care of resources
- Maintain confidentiality of all information pertaining to donor and Foundation operations
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required. CPA and/or Master’s degree strongly preferred. Public accounting experience and 5+ years accounting experience, not-for-profit experience strongly preferred. Audit and Tax schedule preparation experience preferred. Advanced Microsoft Excel skills required and proficiency in other Microsoft Office products required. Experience with Abila MIP a plus. Proven success in fast-paced environments and customer relationships. Must have excellent spoken and written communication skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Minimal physical effort required with intermittent standing and walking and prolonged periods of sitting in meetings or at desk working with computer.
Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and prohibits discrimination with regard to race, religion, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.