- Experience Level
YLabs is seeking a Finance Manager to join our global operations team. You will play a critical role as YLabs continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. A successful candidate will be a hands-on, participative manager and will develop and lead a global finance team to support financial management, grant and contract management, and the reporting of financial data to support strategic decision making. This is an opportunity for an emerging nonprofit finance leader to support the growth of an innovative, high-impact organization. This role is supported by our wider operations team and supervised by our Senior Operations Manager with oversight by YLabs’ CFO, Executive Director, and Board of Directors.
This is a full-time position which requires the ability to legally work in the US. We are open to staff living in California, Washington and Oregon. While a majority of our US staff live and work remotely in California, there is no requirement for this role to be based out of California. If you choose to work remotely, it will be necessary to travel to the Berkeley office at times for in-person meetings, dependent on current COVID-19 restrictions.
ABOUT YLABS’ COMPENSATION
YLabs adheres to Project Fair’s principles and standards to establish equity in pay with the overriding principle of “equal pay for work of equal value” outlined in the Sustainable Development Goals. All salary ranges are based on level within the organization and are competitive to regional and national salary benchmarks, based on the respective office location.
The pay range for this position is $60,000 - $78,750 USD per year, commensurate with experience.
- Lead and execute on all accounting activities related to our monthly close across our global offices, with support from additional finance contractors and staff
- Conduct all grant and contract financial reporting to our donors, with support from our Operations team
- Develop and manage our organizational budget and monthly financial reporting to key stakeholders, including senior management and the Board of Directors
- Lead our annual audit
- Ensure our organization remains compliant with non-profit tax requirements
- Build financial models for forecasting and scenario planning
- Manage our accounts payable and accounts receivable processes
- Collaborate with our Operations team to design and implement financial policies and procedures that strengthen our organization's financial processes
- Collaborate with our Business Development team on budget development for new bids and due diligence requests for new projects
- Own the iteration and implementation of our organization’s financial management software and tools
- An excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills; experience in effectively communicating key data to senior management, the board of directors, and/or other outside partners
- Highly detail oriented
- Able to simplify and communicate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Able to independently navigate between executing day-to-day accounting and financial tasks and supporting long-term organizational financial initiatives
- Excited by the opportunity to work in a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary, diverse global team
- An efficient prioritizer who can manage and effectively delegate multiple tasks and priorities
- A proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own the responsibility for finance, in partnership with the CFO and Executive Director
- Curious and forward-looking with keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Flexible, adaptable, and level-headed in light of changing circumstances and scenarios
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to YLabs’ mission
- BA/BS or higher degree in business, nonprofit financial management or accounting preferred
- Five or more years of experience managing grants and nonprofit finances
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential
- Solid experience leading annual audit activities and managing reporting, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Experience developing and analysing organizational budgets and can provide detailed review of new project and program budgets
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area
- Sound knowledge of non-profit tax and legal compliance requirements
- Demonstrated skill in providing a high level of service to multiple customers, ideally in a nonprofit context
- Proficiency with Quickbooks accounting software, spreadsheets and data management systems required
- Familiarity with financial coordination across all of YLabs’ global offices and areas of work and financial practices in East Africa
- Familiarity with federal grant compliance, audit, and reporting, though support will be provided
- Ability to develop and maintain financial models to inform strategic decision making and risk mitigation
- Strong technological fluency to learn and utilize tools and software to improve our financial systems
- Experience managing and/or training staff in multiple global regions
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Finance Manager - USA. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This posting will be open for three weeks from March 16 to April 30. Once the application period closes, all applications will be reviewed by our Hiring Committee. YLabs recognizes the effort that goes into submitting an application; all candidates will be notified of their application status once the hiring process begins.
All YLabs offers of employment are conditional on satisfactory background check and criminal record clearances.