CAMPAIGN / ORGANIZING DIRECTOR
- Experience Level
The California Labor Federation is a leading organization advancing workers’ rights, racial and economic justice.
The Federation is one largest and strongest labor federations in the country comprised of more than 1,000 unions with more than 2 million members across California.
We are committed to strategic organizing, progressive politics, and building power for working people. We achieve that by building campaigns - political, legislative, and corporate accountability campaigns – that engage lots of people. And we use innovative communications programs and extensive workforce and job training partnerships to support them.
We are also committed to supporting and building strong local labor councils to build worker power. We aim to maximize the capacity of labor and community organizations to advance racial and economic justice for everyone.
The Campaign / Organizing Director has an essential role with unions, labor councils and allies, to build the power and organizing capacity of California’s labor movement at every level. S/he has the responsibility to work with unions and labor councils to involve a new generation of union activists and leaders who gain experience to win campaigns. The director is leader of our field program, designed to increase member involvement to win campaigns. We assist unions in internal member organizing and external new member organizing.
California is a leading State Federation supporting new organizing and growth in unions. We have led the way with “All in to Win” where we coordinate union organizing directors in mutual aid, and as able, contribute their organizers to the big, strategic campaign of another union. This has ed to some break-through organizing successes.
If you would like to apply, be prepared to show us how you have succeeded in member-based field organizing, strategic planning, organizer training and leadership development in both internal and external organizing. The tests will be rigorous.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CAMPAIGN/ORGANIZING DIRECTOR INCLUDE:
- Build strong campaigns to support CA unions efforts to involve and organizer more workers.
- Develop plans to inspire and motivate unions to grow their own organizing capacity… and then share it with others.
- Strategize and build organizing, contract, issue, legislative, political, and corporate campaigns with union and labor council leaders, as well as know how to build our power through them.
- Partner with Labor Councils to innovate new ways to involve affiliates, delegates and build grassroots activism that leads to local power building.
- Initiate campaign trainings and member education programs.
- Work with labor councils and unions in strategic planning and campaign implementation.
- Help labor councils develop Legislative Action Committees for district lobbying of state legislators that increases member involvement to hold their electeds accountable.
- Help build involvement and affiliation of local unions in the State Federation.
We seek an experienced Campaign/Organizing Director to join and lead our staff team who can motivate leaders, staff, and volunteers, understand the evolving role of unions in the economy and community, and help develop programs as well as trainings that increase labor’s campaign strength.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- 10+ years leading Grassroots member-to-member mobilizing for political, organizing, and legislative campaigns.
- Lead strategic planning and include strategic research as needed.
- Develop and lead support for non-union organizing campaigns, including strategies and opportunities to train worker organizers.
- Advanced experience in developing and running training programs.
- Experience dealing with staff in a diverse environment.
- Ability to inspire confidence, and work as a member of leadership teams.
- Experience in using computer programs for communications, developing materials, using social media, and enhancing campaign communications.
- Strong multi-tasking capacity.
- Knowledge of and past work in unions and commitment to labor movement and social justice.
- Willingness and ability to work long hours and weekends.
- Must be “self starter”, have initiative, and be able to work independently.
Reports daily to the Chief of Staff and works closely with the Federation’s Secretary-Treasurer, the chief officer. S/he is a member of the management team and supervises the Field Team along with, any loaned staff or member organizers from our unions.
This position is currently remote/telecommuting and may be based in California. Significant travel to unions across the state, conferences, and meetings. Work on political or electoral campaigns may require longer-term stay in jurisdiction.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
California Labor Federation employees earn very competitive salaries and enjoy excellent benefits including employer-paid health care, dental and vision insurance; a generous leave package; employer-paid defined benefit pension plan and other benefits.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position, and a resume, by May 1, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will begin reviewing applications immediately and continue until the opening is filled.
People of color, bilingual applicants, and women are encouraged to apply.
The CLF provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us at email@example.com (510) 663-4001, or Fax at (510) 663-4099. Your request will receive an individualized assessment and will be processed in the order it was received.
California Labor Federation AFL-CIO provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, California Labor Federation AFL-CIO complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
California Labor Federation AFL-CIO expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Employment $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Education / Teaching Employment $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Event Planning Employment $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Executive / Senior Management Employment $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Program / Project Management Employment $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Los Angeles