Volunteer and Events Coordinator
- Experience Level
Recruit, train and supervise volunteers in the efficient running of the facility and assist with events requested by other departments. Maintain volunteer records and coordinate volunteer schedules, prepare volunteer program reports, and liaison with community to attract volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit, direct, guide, and train volunteers in performance of the respective duties.
- Build positive relationships with volunteers by greeting on-site volunteers daily. Provide opportunities for volunteers to give feedback, understand policies and interact in professional and social settings.
- Coordinate with other departments in the development and implementation of new volunteer programs.
- Evaluate, implement and keep current volunteer applications and screening process, volunteer handbook and training manuals on a regular basis.
- Prepare volunteer job descriptions and volunteer training manuals.
- Facilitate professional interaction between volunteers and LifeLine staff.
- Schedule and conduct volunteer orientations.
- Schedule and confirm volunteers for special events and other activities as requested from other departments.
- Schedule volunteers for Off-Site adoptions (and additional locations on an “as needed” basis) and confirm on a weekly basis.
- Record cancellations and make necessary changes to ensure adequate coverage of volunteer help.
- Work in conjunction with the public and companies/organizations that are interested in community service projects.
- Keep record of special project volunteer hours and write letters of completed service when requested.
- Manage the volunteer database to keep track of all volunteers, orientation dates, training dates, moneys collected, an all other information pertaining to individual volunteer job skills and work preference.
- Schedule volunteers for various positions in the shelter to ensure consistent and even coverage.
- Interface and cooperate with other departments within the organization by being involved in various planning committees.
- Perform customer service to the standards set forth in LifeLine’s employee manual.
- May drive company vehicle in performance of company business.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions: Work is performed at an animal shelter in office space and throughout LifeLine facilities and in public spaces. Potential exposure to zoonotic diseases, dangerous and fractious animals, high noise levels, hazardous chemicals, and sharp objects. Field conditions may be encountered. Able to lift up to 50 lb with assistance, long periods of standing, bending, stooping, reaching and working outdoors in differing climates and animal handling and restraint in animal shelter setting. Able to handle all sizes and activity levels of animals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Considerable knowledge of computers and database management. Proficiency with Volgistics a plus
- Ability to prioritize and simultaneously handle multiple projects
- Ability to develop and maintain a good rapport with public and peers
- Excellent telephone etiquette
- High School Graduate with at least 2 years of college and/or 2+ years experience in Volunteer Coordinator position preferred.
- 1 year animal handling experience preferred.
- Possession of a valid Georgia driver’s license and driving record acceptable to LifeLine insurance carrier.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions or qualifications associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, for example, emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological breakdowns in departments.