Attorney – Legal Advocacy (DC)
- Experience Level
NCYL seeks an Attorney for its Legal Advocacy team to work on impact litigation on behalf of children and youth served in public education and public health systems. The position is a time limited position that we anticipate lasting for 2-3 years. This a great opportunity for someone looking to join a highly collaborative team and have systemic impact on young people.
- Assisting with the development of cases, including collaborating with state and local advocacy organizations, conducting on-site interviews and fact investigations, and analyzing potential legal claims.
- Providing legal research, analysis, and writing.
- Drafting complaints, motions, memoranda, and briefs.
- Engaging in discovery, including review of incoming and outgoing document productions using litigation support technology such as Relativity.
- Preparing for hearings, depositions, and trials.
- Supporting overall case and project management.
- Collaborating with other NCYL staff and with co-counsel.
- J.D. degree
- Admitted to practice law in District of Columbia or eligible to be admitted to practice law in D.C.
- Minimum 2 years of litigation experience at a public interest law firm, private firm, or government agency.
- Demonstrated commitment to advocating for children and youth and to NCYL’s overarching goals and objectives.
- Substantive knowledge of federal disability law, including special education law.
- Experience with impact litigation, including class actions and other forms of systemic litigation.
- Excellent analytic and writing skills.
- Outstanding oral communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively within a team.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage complex projects including strong organizational skills, attention to detail, meet deadlines and produce a high-quality work product in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative problem solving and ability to stay focused on the big-picture.
- Ability to represent NCYL in a courteous and professional manner.