- Experience Level
Goshen Bookkeeping & Consulting (GBC) is a boutique accounting and consulting firm whose mission is to empower, educate, and transform nonprofits and service-based small businesses to build sustainable profits.
The word Goshen (pronounced GOH-shu-uh-n) means growth and is at the core of everything we do. Our team wears multiple hats in helping our clients connect the dots between mission, people, technology, and accounting.
Financials do not drive our mission; relationships do. 90% of the time, the conversations we have with clients are not about financials. They are about the everyday problems and challenges they encounter with operations. And our goal is to provide the reassurances and resources they need to thrive.
We pride ourselves on doing the work right the first time and provide high-quality service to our clients.
We are a 100% remote workplace, so team members must be self-motivated, organized, love technology, have a teacher mindset for continuous learning and be effective communicators.
If you rely on paper to perform your day-to-day function, this is probably not a good fit. We are a firm of the future that is paperless and love using technology to manage our workflows.
We are fearlessly committed to social justice and racial inclusion, and you should be too. Our clients are as committed as we are, and you must be comfortable having conversations about things that are uncomfortable to many people.
Skills and Competencies
- Be able to design workflows and push technology apps beyond their limits
- Ability to have difficult conversations and think on your feet even though you do not have all the answers (you have got to know how to Google!)
- The ability to self-organize and keep multiple projects on tasks and on time is key
- Empathy, patience with teaching others how to use technology, and the ability to switch gears when needed
- Finance, accounting, or any numbers related experience – minimum of three years with increasing responsibilities
- Advanced spreadsheet skills such as Pivot tables, Macros, Vlookups, Sparkline, etc. We use Google Sheets and Excel
- Familiarity of Asana for work management and collaboration with clients
- Prior experience working in a remote setting using video conferencing tools
- Must be able to work during regular business hours - Monday through Friday (Eastern Time)
A day in the life of our Nonprofit Accountants
- Managing the accounting functions for multiple clients, including generating grant and funding financial reports, and filing sales tax returns to meet federal and state regulations
- Managing the payroll functions, including designing onboarding forms, securing tax accounts IDs, allocating payroll to grants and programs in accounting systems, and completing workers’ compensation audits to alleviate tax penalties
- Crafting and designing financial report packages with performance insights for clients
- Provide year-round support to clients to secure tax informational forms from suppliers and service providers
- Researching ways to improve workflows and processes internally and externally
- Organizing, updating, and archiving digital documents
- Research and beta testing apps
- Troubleshooting technology apps issues
- Conducting accounting software training
Internal and External Interactions
- Team building meetings and continuing education training
- Communicating with prospects interested in our services and helping them make the right decision
- Following up with clients for month-end closing work to ensure they understand their financial picture
- Interacting at the highest level with auditors, board members, CEOs, team members, volunteers, suppliers, and customers
Coaching / Advisory
- Advising clients on strategies to improve growth, cash flow, fundraising initiatives, and increase staff capacity
- Collaboratively working with clients to craft, design, and enforce policies to reduce the appearance of theft and fraud, alleviate staff burnout, and safeguard assets
- Coaching board of directors and executive teams on having peace of mind with the decisions they are making
- Acting as the translation matrix between external parties and clients
- Generous PTO policy and flexible work environment
- Company laptop, virtual phone line, and office supplies
- Travel allowance to annual team meetings
- Professional growth and development opportunities with ongoing training
If this job sounds like an excellent fit for you, we want to talk to you. If you meet at least 70% of the criteria above, please apply.
How to apply
Send us a cover letter answering the following questions along with your resume.
- What is your favorite non-accounting app, and why?
- What is your personal mission?
- What is your learning style? (e.g., tactile, verbal, visual)
- Tell us about a time when you received critical feedback and how you dealt with it.
WE ARE ONLY ACCEPTING APPLICANTS LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THIS TIME. WE WILL NOT REVIEW ANY APPLICATION THAT DOES INCLUDE A COVER LETTER.