- Experience Level
NELA is searching for an experienced, strategic, organized, and highly motivated Membership Director to lead us in growing our 2,000-member base. This is an exciting opportunity to take a well-established membership program to the next level, with a balance of big picture thinking and nuts-and-bolts implementation of a sustainable growth plan.
The Membership Director also oversees event registration and CLE accreditation processes for NELA’s continuing legal education programs, and supports development-related outreach activities. Growth in these areas is also anticipated as NELA’s membership increases.
This is a full-time, exempt position. The Membership Director is based in NELA’s Concord office, supervises the Database & Administrative Assistant, and reports directly to and is under the general supervision of the Executive Director.
- Develops the organization’s strategic vision and big-picture direction for membership growth and retention, including annual and multi-year planning, which is a major component of NELA’s overarching Strategic Plan.
- Leads the development, execution, and assessment of an annual membership implementation plan to achieve the recruitment and retention goals of NELA’s strategic plan, including a timeline of outreach efforts, projected revenues and expenditures, and contingency plans.
- Prepares annual membership budget projections and requests, and manages membership revenue and expenses throughout the year, pursuant to the annual membership implementation plan.
- Serves as staff liaison and provides reports to the NELA Board and other organizational leaders regarding NELA’s membership-related programs, activities, and policies, including travel to Board Meetings as needed.
- Leads the recruitment, hiring, professional development, management, and evaluation of the Database & Administrative Assistant.
- Responds to inquiries and troubleshoots issues related to individuals’ membership status.
- Leads and supports NELA’s Membership Committee in carrying out its duties and responsibilities for achieving membership objectives.
- Ensures accurate and timely entry of membership data and responses to member inquiries and requests.
- Oversees training of staff on the use of the membership database as appropriate.
- Ensures the creation and maintenance of documentation related to all aspects of NELA’s membership program.
Continuing Legal Education (CLE)
- Manages CLE accreditation for NELA’s events, including staying up-to-date on CLE regulations nationwide and supervising CLE applications, tracking, and reporting for various events.
- Manages and supervises CLE registrations, including accurate data entry and generation of registration-related materials for each event.
- Travels to NELA’s Annual Convention and Spring and Fall seminars as needed.
- Ensures the creation and maintenance of documentation related to accreditation, marketing, and attendee registration logistics of CLE programs.
- Partners with the Director of Development in creating and implementing strategies for increasing annual support from current members and sponsors, including participation in development activities and outreach.
- As assigned by the Executive Director.
- Minimum of five years of experience, which can include relevant education, in professional membership strategy, development, recruitment, and retention.
- Experience in a nonprofit social justice or civil rights context strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred. Familiarity with MS PowerPoint and Google docs desirable.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including attention to detail, follow-through, and the ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize projects, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage time efficiently, engage in problem-solving, and produce a high-quality work product.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to establish positive and productive supervisory relationships with direct reports, and work collaboratively and effectively with co-workers and with a variety of people at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic planning experience a plus.
- Sound judgment, discretion, and composure, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Commitment to providing exceptional service to NELA members and the public.
- Flexibility and willingness to take the initiative on a variety of projects.
- Willingness to travel and work evenings and weekends during organizational events such as Annual Conventions, Board meetings, and seminars.