Vice President Of Development
- Experience Level
Planned Parenthood Northern California is seeking a full-time Vice President of Development.
The Vice President of Development is a member of the senior management team and is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising strategy for Planned Parenthood Northern California (PPNorCal) in accordance with the organization’s goals, priorities and capacity. In addition to the annual fundraising efforts, the VP oversees all capital, endowment, and special project campaigns and, in partnership with the Public Affairs Department, develops and executes funding strategies for the PPNorCal Action Fund (c4 entity). This role requires a seasoned Development executive who is prepared to improve and innovate existing fundraising activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and innovative leadership for all annual fundraising initiatives, including direct response and on-line activities; major gifts and planned giving; events and event sponsorships; and institutional giving.
- Plan, develop and lead the organization’s capital expansion campaigns including coordinating with PPFA as needed.
- As legally appropriate, work with our sister organization, Planned Parenthood Northern California Action fund to raise funds.
- Develop and engage board and volunteers in fundraising cultivation and solicitation activities.
- Serve as staff co-lead on Board activities to support the organization’s fundraising leadership and capacity.
- Oversee and monitor the Development team’s support of volunteer committees and task forces.
- Identify and provide opportunities for donor/leadership engagement.
- Lead and manage a department of eleven total employees, plus consultants and contractors as needed.
- Personally cultivate and solicit major individual, corporate and foundation donors and prospects.
- Ensure that efficient operational and data systems are in place to support the timely and accurate execution of all fundraising activities.
- Partner with other internal departments to share information and develop integrated communications and social media strategies that advances fundraising and donor cultivation goals.
- Ensure accurate and timely reconciliation/coordination with accounting.
- Conduct performance analysis on all fundraising campaigns and activities.
- Develop and meet department income/expense budget projections.
- Contribute to the overall leadership of the organization as a member of the senior management team.
- Assist other departments in the pursuit of public and private competitive grants that are consistent with PPNorCal’s mission and growth.
- Represent PPNorCal with external audiences.
- Contribute to the advancement of the fundraising profession and PPNorCal’s professional reputation by speaking/presenting at local, regional and national conferences and workshops
- Manages three supervisors: Director/Manager of Institutional Philanthropy, Director/Manager of Individual Philanthropy, and, Manager of Development Operations. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Advanced writing and editing skills.
- Strong networking/interpersonal relationship skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) principles
- Ability to manage/navigate/direct complex individuals and group dynamics.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of flexibility and creativity within a constantly changing environment.
- Passion for Planned Parenthood’s mission.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, expected, master’s degree preferred. Ten plus years of experience in this field with at least 5 years of progressively responsible management experience is essential; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must have reliable automobile transportation and a valid California Driver's License and insurance.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive is a plus.
- 100% employer-paid base medical plans for single coverage (30+ hours); many other benefits available including dental, vision, life, AD&D, LTD, and FSAs
- Generous 403(b) matching contribution
- Paid Time Off accrual effective immediately
- Nine and a half holidays per year; plus an additional floating holiday