- Experience Level
Rental Assistance Intake Specialist (Spanish Required)
The Eviction Defense Collaborative (EDC) seeks an enthusiastic Temporary Rental Assistance Intake Specialist for its Rental Assistance Disbursement Component program (RADCo). The RADCo Intake Specialist is responsible for collecting information and data from clients to better determine eligibility for rental assistance and the next course of action.
At present, and until further notice, EDC is operating remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. EDC provides employees with the necessary IT equipment and remote access to work from home. EDC’s COVID-19 Safety Plan adheres to the CDC’s health and safety guidelines and the federal OSHA requirements for workplace safety.
Eviction Defense Collaborative (EDC) is the only legal services organization in San Francisco solely focused on eviction prevention. EDC’s goal is to prevent displacement, stabilize communities, and ensure housing equity in San Francisco. Formed in 1996 as the primary clearinghouse for tenants filing initial responses to unlawful detainer lawsuits (UD), EDC has developed an effective, client-centered, trauma-informed, and culturally sensitive triage clinic model to process the high volume of clients through our daily, open door clinic model. We offer legal services in response to an eviction, tenant rights education, rental assistance, and advocacy for clients residing in city shelters, all under one organizational umbrella. EDC prides itself on being the safety net for San Francisco tenants, serving tenants regardless of income, immigration status, or neighborhood.
The Temp RADCo Intake Specialist is an integral part of the Rental Assistance Disbursement Component (RADCo) team and EDC’s Right to Counsel Services. The Intake Specialist is the first point of contact for clients contacting RADCo for rental assistance. The intake specialist will connect remotely with new or prospective clients, ask a series of questions for the purpose of compiling data, and then use this data to determine the best next course of action for that client. Because we strive to be barrier-free and client-centered, the position requires an individual who truly enjoys working with people, has the skills and capacity to respond in an empathetic and respectful way to clients who are often in crisis, and who can work effectively in a collegial and fast paced environment.
Email Resume and cover letter as attachments to email@example.com with “Temp RADCo Intake Specialist” in the subject line.
First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share EDC’s mission and vision of social justice and be able to provide services to clients with respect, empathy and calm, applying a customer service approach. Below are additional qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree or associate’s degree preferred, not required.
- Be well organized, highly motivated, and creative.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and computer literate (including Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite).
- Able to work on several projects simultaneously, and handle a high volume of activity.
- Ability to regularly meet deadlines using excellent time management skills.
- Spanish fluency required: both verbal and written.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for responding to all requests for assistance sent to the RADCo intake phone hotline and email account.
- Check the intake line for requests for services with RADCo and log all the calls in the Intake line tracking system.
- Understand the RADCo funding sources available and their requirements for eligibility.
- Determine if the prospective client should complete an online intake form.
- If the client is not eligible for services with RADCo, the Intake Specialist will provide referrals and resources, make a note and close out the case. Intake specialists should be creative and listen to the caller about what they need and use resources available to them as well as research on the internet or ask other coworkers for recommendations on a referral for the client. IE: services for food delivery, general assistance, food stamps, grants for covid assistance, unemployment, tenants’ rights, etc.
- If the client qualifies, the Intake Specialist will complete a screening in Salesforce. They will give clients a list of documents and communicate that the application is not complete until all required documentation is received by the assigned RADCo coordinator, who is responsible for processing applications in full.
- RADCo Intake Specialists should be highly organized and able to keep pace with all required follow up calls and keep detailed notes on intakes.
- RADCo Intake Specialist should also have a warm, respectful and welcoming demeanor, practicing strong empathic listening skills, allowing the caller to be heard in full.
- Must be comfortable asking personal questions in a respectful manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to use standard office equipment such as telephones, computers, copiers, fax machines etc.
- Display the ability to communicate with others effectively, listen closely and convey information clearly.
- Show proficiency with computer programs, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and others.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills and the ability to calm clients who may be stressed and distraught in the face of a potential eviction.
- Have the ability to reassure frustrated clients quickly and make decisions based upon anticipated outcomes.
- Fluent verbal and written Spanish skills.
Starting salary $52,000 - plus medical and dental benefits. This is a non-exempt, full-time (Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm), temporary position for a term of less than 12 months.
- Health, dental, vision, long term disability, and short term disability coverage;
- 13 paid designated holidays and 2 floating holidays
- One hour paid lunch daily
Vacation accrual rate starts at two weeks in the first year of employment and increases to three weeks on the third anniversary
EDC is a 501(c)(3) organization, which qualifies for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
EDC staff are represented by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers (NOLSW, UAW Local 2320, AFL-CIO). This is a union position and subject to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally-sensitive and empathetic services. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
At present, and until further notice, EDC is primarily operating in a remote fashion due to the COVID-19 pandemic. EDC provides employees with the necessary IT equipment and remote access to work from home. EDC’s COVID-19 Safety Plan adheres to the CDC’s health and safety guidelines and the federal OSHA requirements for workplace safety. As Shelter in Place orders change, regular onsite, in office work will be required.
The employee is expected to be in the office (or available while working remote) during normal business hours and to communicate with staff regarding whereabouts when elsewhere for meetings or other obligations. Additionally, the employee is expected to be reachable by email, phone and video conference as needed during normal business hours, Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Prolonged sitting/standing.
● Extensive typing/data entry.
● Periodic lifting/carrying/transporting of materials in excess of 40 lbs.
● Close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, text, and figures.
● Prolonged computer use.
The employee will not supervise any employees.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
EDC is committed to continually building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We do so because it is the right thing to do, and because we know it makes our work stronger and more effective. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. EDC understands and values a workplace with staff from diverse educational backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, races, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, ages, languages spoken, veteran’s status, skin color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The Eviction Defense Collaborative believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Veterans / Public Benefit $50,000 - $59,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco
- Direct Service / Social Service Veterans / Public Benefit $50,000 - $59,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco
- Housing / Construction Veterans / Public Benefit $50,000 - $59,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco
- Legal Veterans / Public Benefit $50,000 - $59,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco
- Social Work / Counseling Veterans / Public Benefit $50,000 - $59,999 Temporary / Seasonal jobs in San Francisco