Job Title: Accountant
Report to: Executive Director
Starting Salary: DOE
Status: Full-Time or Part-Time
*** Must have Non-Profit Accounting experience***
CAL-PEP is a non-profit, community-based organization located in Oakland, California that has provided HIV education and prevention services throughout the San Francisco Bay Area since 1984.
CAL-PEP is seeking a full-time-or part-time Accountant whose primary focus will be to ensure the overall financial requirements of the agency are met. The Accountant is responsible for supervision of accounting professionals. Oversees the calculating, posting, verifying, and typing duties to obtain and record financial data for use in maintaining accounting and statistical records. Leads most day-to-day operations of group. Performs a variety of tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works closely with accounting, budgeting and other departments to gather information needed to produce accurate financial statements according to monthly closing schedule.
- Take lead in documenting processes and procedures and implements automated methods when practical.
- Receives, reviews, input, and posts manual and electronic journal entries approved by Director.
- Maintains records related to financial statements including journal entries, source documentation and the department’s official copy of Financial Reports.
- Enter invoices into computerized accounting system, scheduling payments, conducting AP close, and reconciling AP reports.
- Attends weekly departmental meetings, agency wide staff meetings and other meetings as determined appropriate by Director.
- Process payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable functions at least four times per year as coverage for vacations and other absences; cross trains for other accounting job functions.
· Ability to develop and Monitor Federal, Local, County and State Budgets and Contracts.
· Supervise finance department staff.
· Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Strong accounting skills.
· Knowledge of Accrual Accounting.
- Knowledge of federal contracts, FFR and other federal reporting and monitoring.
· Ability to skillfully prioritize tasks in a constantly changing work environment.
· Skills to prepare clear and accurate financial reports.
· Highly organized with a strong attention to details.
· Ability to function as a productive team leader.
· Must have skills to operate a computer and use a variety of software applications (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, QuickBooks, Adobe Pro, Internet).
· Ability to prioritize and multi-task efficiently.
· Knowledge of general office procedures.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Bonding required.
- Willingness to work with people of diverse ethnic and social backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
Education and Experience: Strong general accounting knowledge with a minimum of five (5) years of experience in Non-Profit Accounting. Previous database experience is highly desirable. Proficiency in computer spreadsheets, word processing, including knowledge of Windows and Excel is essential.
CAL-PEP is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively seek applications from people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, women, people of trans experience, non-binary/gender nonconforming individuals, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. African American and/or Latinx individuals are encouraged to apply.
Email resume and cover letter.
DEADLINE: Open until filled