Logistics and Operations Manager
- Experience Level
We Care Solar
Logistics and Operations Manager
We Care Solar is an award-winning U.S. nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening health care and education in under-resourced countries by improving access to clean reliable electricity. Since 2010, We Care Solar has designed and delivered compact durable solar electric systems to under-resourced health centers and schools, replacing candles and kerosene lanterns with bright, efficient LED lights and power for essential devices.
Solar for Healthcare: Our Light Every Birth initiative is transforming maternal health care at the national level in select countries in Africa. The We Care Solar Suitcase provides health workers with highly efficient medical lighting and power for mobile communication and medical devices. This device is effective in a range of medical and humanitarian settings and has been distributed to 6,200 health facilities worldwide. Our training programs build local capacity in solar installation, operation and maintenance.
Solar for Education: Our education program, called We Share Solar, empowers students and educators to “Light the World.” Students learn about the global challenge of energy poverty and gain the skills to assemble specialized Solar Suitcases for energy-deficient schools and community centers.
We Care Solar has received international accolades and numerous awards, including the 2019 Zayed Sustainability Award, the 2017 UNFCCC Momentum for Change Award, the 2015 UN DESA Powering the Future We Want Award and the 2013 CNN Top 10 Heroes.
We are a mission focused organization and team that likes to have fun while doing serious work. Our team includes global staff from five of our priority countries and many of our team members have been with WCS for more than 5 years. We are extremely committed to providing a fun and flexible work environment (virtually and in-person) while ensuring that we are able to deliver cost effective programs with high impact.
The Logistics and Operations Manager will take the lead on managing our logistics and select contract manufacturers. This job requires a high level of organization and detail orientation paired with flexibility and agility for ever-changing regulations and circumstances. The ideal candidate is interested in solar energy solutions and how they can be used to solve global problems and has a desire to learn more about this exciting sector.
Project Management Responsibilities
- Maintain a detailed shipment tracker in Excel, Sheets or other smart spreadsheet to track various shipments to multiple African countries and select Asian countries.
- Liaise with various logistics and transportation providers to coordinate documentation and cost-effective transport.
- Keep programs team and executive leadership apprised of progress on key shipments.
Logistics and Supply Chain Responsibilities
- Outbound logistics – coordinate the pick up and transportation of products shipping regularly by air and sea primarily to Africa and SE Asia.
- Logistics expertise – responsible for understanding shipping constraints and optimizing delivery of products to multiple countries including certification requirements and customs clearance procedures.
- Coordinate with the WCS/WSS programs staff to determine suitcase forecast and communicate with manufacturers.
- Inventory management – together with finance team and manufacturers, conduct quarterly inventory reconciliation.
Work with Director of Engineering and Director of We Share programs to support contract manufacturing: supply/demand management, quality standards and control, technical specifications (BOM) and process oversight.
- Support product and process quality by designing testing methods; testing finished-product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes.
- Maintain Bill of Materials – work with product engineering to maintain the BOM with the contract manufacturer and regularly updating to ensure accuracy for costing, purchasing, and pulling parts.
- Shipment Preparation - liaise with contract manufacturers to ensure proper paperwork, labeling and preparation for shipment. DGD experience a plus.
- Assist with HR benefits administration.
- Support for general office management.
- Other tasks as directed by the COO.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2 years of international logistics experience preferred
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Flexibility to work in a small organization with multiple stakeholders (Contract Manufacturer, Product Engineering, Programs and Finance)
Competitive salary and benefits.
We are a fun, strong and cohesive team that is currently working remotely. We will return to our Berkeley, CA office when it is safe to do so. This position could be based remotely or in Berkeley, CA. We offer competitive salaries and benefits and pride ourselves on offering a flexible and fun environment while achieving our mission.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We Care Solar is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering a progressive work environment that encourages participation by all team members and ensures that all voices are heard. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Please send a cover letter and resume by April 15, 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the position title in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.