Director of Operations, Western Region
- Degree Level
MedShare is a humanitarian aid organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of people, communities and our planet by sourcing and directly delivering surplus medical supplies and equipment to communities in need around the world.
MedShare seeks an experienced Director of Operations to manage all aspects of inventory and movement of medical supplies and equipment donated to and sent from MedShare’s Western Region Distribution Center. The Director of Operations manages the physical office and warehouse space of the Western Region and coordinates inventory tools and procedures for the office. The Director of Operations is also responsible for managing MedShare’s Volunteer activities, the Primary Care Supply Store and Western Region hospital outreach.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: San Leandro, CA
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Supervise department managers, support staff, interns and highly skilled volunteers in the following areas:
- Inventory Management
- Distribution Center
- Volunteer Program Operations
- Biomed Equipment Repair/Refurbishment
- Donor Collection and Vehicle Maintenance
- Office facility maintenance and support
2. Support achievement of MedShare’s mission through:
- Coordination of activities of Western region Distribution Center and Western Region Inventory Management for maximum efficiency and quality.
- Coordination with Chief Operating Officer and Programs staff regarding product sorting, container preparation & shipment, Medteam operations and corporate and hospital relations
- Coordination of inventory management tools and procedures with the National office
3. Participate in the maintenance of effective staff recruitment, retention and labor relations policies and procedures
4. Participate in the annual budgeting process; support the annual financial audit process
5. Work with MedShare staff to review operating policies & procedures, recommend needed changes and lead/participate in implementing improvements
6. Participate in and lead special projects as needed including the documentation and education of Western Region operations procedures and other initiatives to support MedShare’s national growth
7. Represent the organization as needed in a public relations role
8. Maintain good working relationships with local hospitals and supply partners to ensure consistent flow of quality medical supplies and equipment
9. Collaborate with other MedShare locations to establish and implement uniform policies and procedures
10. Review and approve relevant invoices
11. Other duties as assigned
Requirements & Desired Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Business Management, Industrial or Systems Engineering, or related field (or at least 5 years of relevant experience)
- 5+ years of work experience – preferably including experience working in distribution/logistics environments
- Experience working in a leadership capacity for a non-profit organization preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office applications
- 5 or more years managing people
- Forklift and truck driving experience
- Knowledge of warehousing and logistics best practices
- Thorough understanding of project management, able to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines & goals
- Experience working in culturally-diverse organizations
- Passion for community service, international development, and MedShare’s mission.
- Experience living/working internationally is highly desirable
- Fluency in English is required and basic knowledge of a foreign language (Spanish and/or French) is desired
MedShare offers a competitive benefits package for all fulltime employees. The organization provides ample opportunities to learn about global health issues, medical supply chain management and philanthropic fundraising. Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com with “Director of Operations, Western Region” in the subject line.
Must have viable references from prior supervisors. We will check all references!
BART friendly location
Thank you for considering us!