Jean League Newton, AIA, Internship
- Experience Level
The Jean League Newton, AIA, internship is a full-time, entry-level position responsible for fulfilling our mission by providing professional preservation expertise to support all of the organization’s programming. The individual will learn all aspects of a preservation nonprofit organization and will leave with a thorough grasp of our work.
The intern will be conducting research for an interpretive signage project in a historic neighborhood, as well as helping create local historic district design guidelines and organizing Historic Macon’s archival collection. Additionally, this position’s duties include conducting field work for easement reports, assisting the Lanier Education Coordinator with planning and executing educational events, helping collect oral histories, and assisting with general administrative tasks. This position reports to the Director of Preservation Field Services and works closely with staff, board members and numerous committee members and volunteers.
The successful intern will be focused, well-organized, efficient and thorough. The individual will also be an excellent researcher who is capable of effectively communicating preservation research and theory to the general public. We are looking for a team member who brings professional skills in historic preservation, architecture or a closely aligned field.
Eligibility and Qualifications:
- Current high school junior or senior, college student or graduate-level student in historic preservation, architecture, or closely aligned field.
- Candidate must be able to work independently and have excellent organizational, research and computer skills.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for Macon and Georgia history is a plus.
- Preference will be given to students from historically underrepresented groups.
HMF Core Values:
- We are innovative and leaders in our field.
- We are scrappy and we hustle.
- We are stewards of financial, built, and environmental resources.
- We are bigger than our mission. We are an extended family.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume and three references (including one professor or teacher) to firstname.lastname@example.org.