Senior Research Analyst / Project Manager (Spanish speaker)
- Degree Level
Goodwin Simon Strategic Research (GSSR) is seeking a Senior Research Analyst/Project Manager who is a native-Spanish speaker to engage in strategic political and communications research with the firm’s Oakland, CA-based partners and research director. Applicants should have direct experience with public opinion research, project management, and with strategic political communications (e.g. using research findings to develop strategic communications and messaging and/or advising on communication strategies for issue-based, social change, or political campaigns).
GSSR is a progressive, independent public opinion research firm that conducts cutting-edge quantitative and qualitative research to develop strategic communications to advance social change. Our research team brings their expertise in politics, public policy, and communications to our work for political candidates and ballot measure campaigns, nonprofit and issue advocacy organizations, foundations, and labor unions. Over the last dozen years, we have developed a whole new approach to public opinion research, message development, and message delivery (see www.heartwiredforchange.com). We work on a wide range of issues both in the United States and internationally.
The Senior Research Analyst/Project Manager plays a key role in all stages of the research and strategic communications process, including:
- Conducting, analyzing and communicating about research in Spanish, including both oral and written. For this position, you must be a native Spanish speaker with advanced reading, writing and speaking skills in Spanish as well as in English.
- Applying research findings to develop communications and messaging recommendations, and strategies for engagement with target audiences;
- Developing qualitative and quantitative research instruments;
- Managing multiple concurrent projects across a variety of issues;
- Developing and tracking project timelines to ensure deliverables are produced to meet deadlines;
- Helping GSSR senior leadership team coordinate staffing resources—including interns and outside vendors—to ensure deliverables are completed on time;
- Overseeing survey data collection and fielding;
- Overseeing focus group recruiting and logistics;
- Drafting messaging materials for testing;
- Conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis of survey and focus group data;
- Synthesizing key findings and producing toplines and PowerPoint presentations;
- Drafting report content;
- Working with clients;
- Conducting media and literature reviews and other background research;
- Providing proofing and quality assurance throughout the research process; and
- Managing other project related responsibilities, as needed.
The successful applicant will have a college degree or more education and a minimum of 6 to 8 years of professional work experience in public opinion research, strategic political communications, and project management experience.
In particular, we are looking for someone who has prior political experience on ballot measure campaigns, candidate campaigns, other issue-based, social change, or political campaigns, or in a politically-oriented work environment.
We are also looking for a strong project manager who can coordinate project timelines, keep projects on task, utilize project resources effectively, is highly organized and detail-oriented, and can operate effectively in a fast-paced environment while juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
We cannot emphasize enough how much this job requires strong organizational, writing, proofreading, editing, and multi-tasking skills; comfort working with numbers; and strong attention to detail. The successful applicant will be able to balance many different responsibilities and meet quick deadlines in a small, hardworking, fast-paced office environment where multiple projects are occurring at the same time.
In addition, this job requires direct interaction with clients—in writing, on the phone/Zoom, and in-person. As such, we are looking for applicants who communicate professionally and with confidence in these situations.
Previous office experience working side-by-side with colleagues, the ability to work independently, and computer skills—including experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)—are also necessary.
While not required, please include in your cover letter a description of your skills and experience if you have experience conducting advanced statistical analysis using SPSS, Stata, R or other statistical packages; and
The position is located at our Oakland office, which is located on Franklin Street near the 19th Street BART Station.
Salary is commensurate with the kinds of experience that are directly relevant for our firm and how our firm conducts research. Salary for this position starts at $85,000. There is potential for growth within the company based on work performance. Compensation also includes two weeks of paid vacation, paid holiday leave from December 24 through January 1, company-funded medical insurance, and a significant company-funded contribution to your retirement account.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.
Candidates who wish to be considered may be asked to submit a writing sample and/or participate in a brief writing and data analysis, and translation test as part of the screening process.
Please note: If you do not have the correct qualifications for the position of Senior Research Analyst, you may be considered for a position as a Research Analyst instead.