Senior Communications Manager
- Experience Level
WHO WE ARE
The Partnership on AI (PAI) is the leading forum addressing the most important and difficult decisions on the future of AI.
We are a non-profit that invites diverse voices into the process of technical governance, design, and deployment of AI technologies.
Our essential Partners work together across industry, academia, and civil society to understand the implications of AI advancements and ensure they benefit society equitably.
Through dialogue, insight, education, and guidance, PAI informs responsible AI solutions and identifies opportunities to address humanity’s pressing challenges.
Our vision is a future where Artificial Intelligence empowers humanity by contributing to a more just, equitable, and prosperous world. Our mission is to bring diverse voices together across global sectors, disciplines, and demographics so developments in AI advance positive outcomes for people and society.
If you are committed to a future of responsible AI and you are interested in joining the Partnership on AI in our quest, we genuinely appreciate your interest and we want to hear from you.
The Partnership on AI (PAI) is seeking a Senior Communications Manager to increase member engagement and operationalize Partner communications for the world's leading AI community. This role will develop and implement a strategy around increasing engagement, and deliver on the production and distribution of Partner communication channels in pursuit of supporting our community to champion and adopt PAI-developed best practices.
A successful Senior Communications Manager will excel in thinking strategically about message dissemination and distilling complex information concisely and in an expertly written fashion. The candidate must be able to speak to a diverse mix of individuals from academia, civil society, foundations, researchers, policymakers and industry to increase engagement. Applicants should have experience in understanding the interests of our corporate industry members while balancing the distinct needs of civil society and academic institutional members as well.
The ideal candidate should understand the societal implications of our work in order to disseminate that work across platforms. They will leverage our existing communication methods and develop new ones, work effectively cross-functionally, and collaborate closely with the Research team in particular. The candidate must also be able to collaborate across the organization's wide variety of Partner activities to hunt for the untold stories of collaboration and impact within our community. This role is critical in PAI’s role in providing outcomes through our work that benefit people and society. A successful member of our team will increase the engagement with innovative campaigns and analyze and adapt strategies to maximize engagement. This role reports to the Associate Director of Content & Communications.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Design and implement a strategic communications plan and assess the success of new and impactful methods of fully engaging our community and other key stakeholders
- Develop messaging across the PAI programs that support our overarching mission and desired outcomes
- Create a greater volume of partner-driven, partner focussed-collateral that leads to greater PAI impact and higher profile among our CSO, academic, media, and industry Partners
- Develop and execute a comprehensive timeline tracked against the work of our Programs to optimize on content dissemination for the varied audiences of the Partnership
- Strengthen relationships with the Partner community to amplify our work through various Partner communication channels. To include, but not limited to: direct responsibility for regular PAI newsletters, one-off announcements, invitation mailings, regular impact reports, new Partner announcements, surveys and other outreach efforts
- Determine cadence and content for community email campaigns for maximum effectiveness, and own, manage, and track communications and metrics and adjust and evolve tactics according to analytics and desired outcomes
- Transform our work into relevant, engaging, succinct, elegant, and compelling communication work products
- Strategize with Research team on communication tactics which extend interest and translate the value of our work
- Advise on opportunities to position PAI’s convenings, research, publications, and other content, including blogs, op-eds, and other collateral
- Work closely with the Revenue and Research teams to devise new ways to support retention and recruitment
- Act as Point of Contact for internal teams as needed and synthesize and present work and requests from that team
- Initiate ideas and follow through with execution for public facing events and curate discussion points with internal and external participants
- Where appropriate across Partner communications workspaces, facilitate events and other touchpoints with our Community
- Create amplification toolkits for Partners related to specific outputs
- Work with PAI Leadership to assess and identify challenges and specific needs from Partners and propose solutions
- Regularly update our website with Project progress
- Conduct surveys and assess results
- Update the Editorial Calendar related to specific responsibilities
- Suggest and support content production as needed
- This position may supervise others and could include direct managerial responsibilities
- 8+ years of experience in a communications role with increasing responsibility
- Demonstrated track record of increasing employee, community, or membership engagement
- Appreciation for analytics and using data to inform decision-making and content development
- Ability to read and synthesize technical content in AI and translate to a broader audience
- An acute insight in how to best leverage communications and CRM tools such as Campaign Monitor, Salesforce, Slack, and WordPress
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with high attention to detail
- knowledge of AP writing style, impeccable grammar, and strong editing skills.
- Familiarity with Google Workspace and Asana as a project management tool
WHO YOU ARE / WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You have a curiosity for technology and its role in society
- You are eager to learn new skills that will be valuable to your professional development and your success at PAI
- An understanding of the role of storytelling and narrative in increasing impact, understanding, and education
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively as part of a diverse team with shifting priorities.
- Desire to work in a mission-driven, non-profit organization
- A growth mindset of learning new techniques and increasing your skill set
- Ability to navigate across teams with various priorities
- You can identify challenges and proactively propose solutions
- Able to inspire and lead others to a common, shared outcome
- Ability to shift between tactical and strategic thinking — you see the big picture while also staying detail-oriented
- Passionate about creating inspiring and compelling communications
QUALITIES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO US:
- Builds Trust: Able to be transparent by being authentic, conveying trust and communicating openly while involving key stakeholders in decision-making.
- Visionary: Able to take a long-term perspective, conveying a belief in an outcome, and displaying the confidence to reach goals
- Inspirational: Able to inspire and motivate others in a positive manner
- Courageous: Able to seek out opportunities for continuous improvement, and fearless in intervening in challenging situations
- Decisive: Able to make informed decisions in a timely fashion
- Personal Development: Able to seek opportunities for individual personal development
- We know that research has shown that some potential applicants will submit an application only when they feel that they have met close to all of the qualifications for a role—we encourage you to take a leap of faith with us and submit your application as long as you are passionate about working to make real impact on responsible AI. We are very interested in hearing from a diverse pool of candidates.
- PAI offers a generous paid leave and benefits package, including: Twenty vacation days; three personal reflection days; sick leave and family leave above industry standards; high-quality PPO and HMO health insurance plans, many 100% covered by PAI; Dental and vision insurance 100% covered by PAI; up to a 7% 401K match, vested immediately; pre-tax commuter benefits (Clipper); automatic cell phone reimbursement ($75/month); up to $1,000 in professional development funds annually; regular team lunches & reading days; opportunities to attend AI related conferences and events and to collaborate with our 100+ partners across industry, academia and civil society. Please refer to our careers page for an updated list of benefits.
- PAI is headquartered in San Francisco, with a global membership base and scope. This role is eligible for remote work within the United States with no requirement to be located in San Francisco. We do not offer visa support for this position at this time.
PAI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, promoting, training, education assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, and all privileges and conditions of employment. Employment decisions at PAI are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications.
PAI will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or similar laws.
The Partnership on AI may become subject to certain governmental record keeping and reporting requirements for the administration of civil rights laws and regulations. We also track diversity in our workforce for the purpose of improving over time. In order to comply with these goals, the Partnership on AI invites employees to voluntarily self-identify their gender and race/ethnicity. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not jeopardize or adversely affect employment or any consideration you may receive for employment or advancement. The information obtained will be kept confidential.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send a cover letter and resume by April 9, 2021.
Only complete applications will be reviewed.