- Experience Level
Background: The hospitality industry is the nation’s third largest sector, employing more than 12 million people across the U.S., yet the average worker in the industry earns less than $350/week. Over the last 12 months, the COVID crisis has plunged the hospitality industry into an unprecedented period of distress, leaving more than 30% of the 300,000+ hospitality workers in metro Atlanta unemployed and food insecure. Meanwhile, food banks and hunger organizations have experienced 10-20x demand, giving rise to an enormous gap in our food security network.
Against this backdrop Atlanta restaurateur Michael Lennox launched ATLFAMILYMEAL, Inc. (AFM) in March 2020 with a mission to feed, nourish and support hospitality workers and their families experiencing food insecurity and joblessness in metro Atlanta.
Over a period of 30 days following the inception of the crisis, AFM rapidly built a tech-enabled platform that activates underutilized kitchen capacity at partner restaurants across Atlanta to deliver thousands of chef-prepared meals each week directly to the homes of unemployed hospitality workers experiencing food insecurity.
Almost one year since inception, AFM has prepared and delivered over 200,000 meals to families in need, raised in excess of $2.4M, saved 100+ jobs, and recycled more than $1.4M back into the local economy. We are hospitality workers feeding hospitality workers.
Opportunity: AFM has recently developed a three-year strategic plan and is poised to expand our scope of work and impact. AFM is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial Executive Director who is passionate about service, team-building, fighting hunger and building a stronger food and hospitality community.
Role: The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is chiefly responsible for upholding the AFM mission, increasing awareness with the community, leading day-to-day operations and meeting financial objectives. The Executive Director currently has one FTE, a Program Director, who is responsible for AFM’s program areas. Additionally, AFM has engaged a consulting firm (Purpose Possible) to support strategic planning and fundraising, and currently works with a separate outside firm for PR and social media.
Duties will include:
- With the Board and founding director, ensure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Promote active and broad participation by Board and volunteers in all areas of the organization's work.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and budgeting/financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
Finance, HR/Operations & Governance
- Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Build a team of professionals, with a culture of creativity and positivity, through hiring and coaching
- Encourage staff and volunteer professional development/continuing education and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Ensure that the Board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing the organization’s sustainability.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff, Finance Committee, and the board in preparing an annual budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Maintain a culture which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
Marketing & Community Relations
- Collaborate with Program Director and marketing firm to publicize the activities of the organization, its programs, and goals.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative/collaborative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Develop strong community and restaurant partnerships to support AFM’s programs and outreach efforts
- Serve as an external face of the organization with the ability to tell AFM’s story
Board Communications and Fund Development
- With fundraising staff, develop an annual plan for fundraising from diverse funding sources.
- Work with the fundraising team to cultivate and solicit grants and donations, and to be actively involved in overall fundraising for the organization.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Meet with community members, corporations, and organizations to gain financial support.
- Proven track record of success in a leadership position overseeing operations of an organization or program with exposure to foundations, while maintaining solid relationships with staff, board, donors and community.
- A minimum of three years of senior level nonprofit organization experience is preferred.
- Successful fundraising, community building, and program management experience.
- Significant experience as a paid or volunteer leader at a not-for-profit organization.
- A solid knowledge of accounting, budgeting, financial management and marketing.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
Additional desired skills/competencies:
- Experience in food insecurity and/or the foodservice/hospitality industry.
- Ability to oversee technology platforms to maximize organization’s impact
- Proficient in speaking Spanish
- Working with diverse clients and audiences
Desired Start Date: June 1, 2021
- $75,000-90,000 Salary range, DOE
- Healthcare (reimbursement)
- Paid time off
Please submit a cover letter and resume to jobs [at] atlfamilymeal.org by April 23, 2021.