Program Manager - Gameheads
- Experience Level
Gameheads, an Oakland-based tech training program, is seeking a motivated, reliable candidate with integrity and demonstrated commitment for working with students of color to serve as program manager of our award-winning program. Gameheads uses video game design, development and DevOps to develop diverse talent and bold new voices, train young people (ages 11-25) for the tech eco-system, and prepare them for college, career and civic life. Participants of Gameheads learn how to create, code and design games, building skills across a variety of disciplines from visual art, creative writing, design, programming, sound design, animation, game theory and history.
This position is a key role for our growing organization, and will work with over 150 budding game development students ages 15-25 across our Classic, LIVE and other programs. The Program Manager will be responsible for case management and co-managing activities, events, classes and day to day operations. The Program Manager must be knowledgeable in education and youth development best practices for low-income youth of color. Knowledge in several game design, development, DevOps or mixed media principles, such as design, storytelling, game theory, coding, design thinking, or animation is preferred.
Reports to: Creator/Executive Director
Time frame: Year round
Hours: 40 hours per week.
Location: Oakland, CA
Among the responsibilities:
- Lead and advance our programming to serve low-income students of color.
- Provide case management including college, career and personal advising to students ages 15-25.
- Coach and manage young game development teams.
- Teach classes or workshops in game development and/or interactive entertainment related areas.
- Participate and prep youth for events and game company site visits.
- Manage student recruitment process.
- Manage volunteer/mentor recruitment process, and coordinate with mentors on a regular basis.
- Set examples of best practices in professionalism, leadership, culture, creativity and diversity.
- Work collaboratively with a high-functioning group.
- Create and maintain a healthy and fun youth culture.
- Maintain an excellent work ethic, a high level of energy and exceptional enthusiasm.
- Handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Knowledge of/experience with youth in low-income communities and/or under-served communities of color.
- Knowledge of academic requirements for graduation, transfer and application (high school, junior college, university).
- At least 2 years experience in game design, project management, animation and/or at least 2 years of teaching, administration or instruction in a school or nonprofit.
- Knowledge of design and development software is preferred. Applicants should be comfortable learning new software.
- Knowledge of AutoDesk, Adobe, Spine, JIRA, Shotgun, Trello or similar art, animation and/or project management software is not required but preferred.
- Bilingual is not required but preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of video game design and/or creative project management.
Experience & Education
- 3-5 years experience in youth development or other education program roles.
- College graduate or be currently enrolled.
- Experience with the subjects you will be teaching a plus.
- Experience working with youth or in a tech training program-like setting is a plus.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: “Gameheads Program Manager.”
Compensation: Salary begins at $70,000 with signing bonus.
Non-Discrimination: The Gameheads and fiscal sponsor United Roots are a diverse organization and Equal Opportunity Employers that do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. People of color, women, LGBTQ TGNC folks, and people with disabilities are warmly welcomed to apply.
All applicants must pass a background check before working with youth.
Gameheads is a tech training program that uses video game design, development and DevOps to create diverse talent and bold new voices, train youth for the tech ecosystem, and prepare them for college, career and civic life. To learn more visit our website: www.gameheadsoakland.org
Our fiscal Sponsor United Roots engages and empowers marginalized youth in socially innovative ways by creating an ecosystem of opportunities for them through civic engagement, career and workforce mentorship, personal development and creative arts education.