- Experience Level
They [Northern Plains] confound the common view that ordinary people are powerless in the face of industry. – Billings Gazette editorial
The venerable Northern Plains Resource Council, a Montana group that has fought coal plant pollution for 40 years and defended ranchers against the gouging of their land . . . – Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Northern Plains Resource Council is a non-profit grassroots organization based in Billings, Montana, a unique mix of rural and urban folks from diverse backgrounds.
We are a social-justice organization committed to land stewardship, protecting water quality, preserving family farms and ranches, fighting climate change, and keeping Montana a good place to live and work.
For more than 48 years, Northern Plains has made an important difference on critical issues in Montana by providing the information and tools necessary to give our members and others an effective voice in governmental decisions that affect their lives.
We are seeking applicants for the position of Executive Director, a full-time salaried position based in Billings, Montana.
- Experience in a leadership role with an organization working on social change or environmental issues (either by employment or volunteer service).
- Ability to build relationships with people from varied backgrounds.
- Committed to grassroots organizing, recognizing the role of staff in a member-driven organization.
- Experience in employee supervision.
- Fundraising experience in the form of direct asks as well as grants.
- Ability to travel and be away overnight.
- Willingness to work long hours when needed.
- Experience in a political campaign.
- General familiarity with the workings of legislative bodies and government agencies.
- Experience working with rural people.
- Familiarity with conservation and agriculture issues.
- Provide leadership and vision for the organization, balanced with the clear understanding that Northern Plains is a truly democratic organization controlled by its member leaders.
- Manage the organization by ensuring that the Board of Directors has the necessary information and opportunity to make policy and strategy decisions in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the directives and goals set by the Board of Directors are carried out – including our five-year strategic plan.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Northern Plains and ensure that the organization recruits, hires, trains, and fosters its staff, which is currently a team of 20.
- Lead a management team to keep the staff team moving forward together.
- Ensure that the organization operates within the Board-approved budget (currently $1.5 million) and that sufficient and appropriate internal and external fundraising is done to meet the organization’s financial needs.
- Significant travel, both daylong and overnight trips, around the state of Montana and out-of-state.
The salary starts at $70,000 and is negotiable based on experience. Compensation includes generous benefits and vacation time.
More information about Northern Plains and more detail about this position can be found at https://northernplains.org/careers/executive-director/ ..
Applicants will submit:
- cover letter
- writing sample
- three (3) professional references
Applications should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due May 1, 2021. Applications will be reviewed when received.