- Position Type
- Full Time
American Prison Data Systems (APDS) is Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a certified B-Corporation that provides educational software and technology to correctional facilities across the country. There are more than 2 million people incarcerated and more than 4.5 million paroled in the U.S. APDS provides tablet-based education solutions for incarcerated learners and returning citizens in order to create better outcomes through individualized education, rehabilitation, and reentry programming to prepare them for a successful reentry to society. Investments in correctional education improve outcomes, reduce recidivism, and make correctional facilities safer for both staff and those who are incarcerated. APDS’s business model is to never charge incarcerated individuals or their friends and families for its technology or services. Our products and services are deployed in over 90 facilities across 17 states and growing.
Learn more at www.apdscorporate.com
The Technical Writer will join our growing sales team and will be responsible for working across APDS’s teams to craft and assemble our bids and proposals to jurisdictions across the country looking to procure APDS’s technology and services. The Technical Writer will be responsible for creating compelling and concise documentation of APDS’s technology and service offering, explaining complex information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences. Reporting to the chief revenue officer, the Technical Writer will collaborate with members of the technology, product, support, sales, and business development teams. The Technical Writer will project manage APDS’s submissions to RFPs positioning the company in the strongest possible light against the selection criteria prescribed by purchasing institutions.
A well-qualified candidate will be an exceptional writer with experience in RFP submission and bid processes, very detailed oriented, an adept project manager, and excited by the prospect of changing correctional facilities into educational centers that prepare returning citizens for success in life.
Key Outcomes for Success in this Role - As APDS is growing, we are looking for an experienced and adept writer who will roll up her/his sleeves and achieve the following outcomes:
- Manage at least 24 bids and proposals (roughly 2 per month) to governmental jurisdictions seeking APDS’s services. These include targeted proposals to major multi-year RFP contracts.
- Research and identify opportunities across the U.S. where correctional jurisdictions may seek APDS’s solution in light of their existing contracts and needs.
- Build and expand APDS’s document repository capturing and updating features and benefits of APDS’s products and services as our tools evolve and improve so that APDS can scale its ability to respond to an increasing number of requests for proposals.
- Manage the complete proposal response process - from understanding the sales strategy and strategic positioning through gathering all of the requisite information from various APDS teams to packaging the final proposal in a professionally written, concise, and complete document.
- Craft all client-facing technical documents with clear and compelling writing.
- Create, edit, and refine sales proposals in collaboration with the sales team members.
- Research federal and state procurement sites to identify potential bid opportunities.
- Update and maintain product descriptions in Loopio.
Qualifications and Experience
- 2+ years of experience in grant- and RFP-writing, with a particular focus on government procurement rules and regulations in regards to vendor responses and practices.
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills, understanding how to distill complex ideas into concise and readable prose.
- High attention to detail to ensure all submission requirements are met on time and with high quality.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to keep lots of moving parts from multiple stakeholders moving forward in a coordinated and timely manner. Project management certification is preferred but not required.
- Self-starter who identifies opportunities to pursue, figures out what resources are needed, and pursues projects until they are completed.
- Proficiency with technology toolsets; Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Salesforce, Loopio, and Google Suite.
- Ability to project manage deadlines and deliverables.
Location and Travel
- New York City or remote
- Travel 10%
Salary and Benefits
- ADPS offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package.
Basic Expectations for all APDS Employees
- Belief in APDS’s mission to reduce recidivism and improve the life chances of incarcerated learners and returning citizens.
- Be on time for work; notify appropriate people if you will not be at work during your regular schedule.
- Be on time for meetings with staff and clients.
- Follow up on things on your plate; don’t expect others to remind you. Trust others to do the same.
- Take initiative if you realize something needs to be taken care of. We are a team; either do it yourself, or communicate with someone else about it.
- Clear, concise, and timely communication is essential.
- Respond to emails and voicemails promptly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, APDS is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. We strongly encourage candidates who represent the communities we serve to apply.