- Experience Level
Job Title: Organizer
Waterkeeper Alliance is a global movement uniting more than 350 Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates around the world, focusing citizen action on issues that affect our waterways, from pollution to climate change. Waterkeepers patrol and protect more than 2.8 million square miles of rivers, lakes and coastlines in Africa, Asia, Australia, the Americas, and Europe. For more information please visit: www.waterkeeper.org.
This position supports Waterkeeper Alliance’s Gulf and South Atlantic regions. The Organizer is a dynamic, goal-oriented professional within the Organizing Department that works to strengthen and amplify the voice of Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates through capacity-building, advocacy, communications, and fundraising. The Organizer reports directly to the U.S. Organizing Manager and will work to support Waterkeeper groups to ensure that they are the most effective, best, and brightest water advocates.
The Organizer is responsible for ensuring the needs of Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates are met, uniting them as a powerful force, and organizing their collective action. The Organizer is also responsible for being a conduit of information about Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates to all departments within Waterkeeper Alliance.
- Serve as the primary point-of-contact for all Waterkeeper groups in the Gulf and South Atlantic regions;
- Collect, maintain, and deploy accurate data and narrative information about Waterkeeper groups to harness the power of the Waterkeeper movement;
- Ensure Waterkeeper groups are meeting Waterkeeper Alliance Quality Standards, work across departments to develop solution-based strategies to address challenges with meeting standards, and remedy any quality standard violations in a timely manner;
- Collaborate effectively with other departments to drive quality support for Waterkeeper groups’ needs and challenges;
- Organize Waterkeeper groups around common issues and work with departments to create fundable and impactful projects;
- Support Waterkeeper groups in accessing membership benefits and opportunities;
- Create and pursue opportunities to advance the collective image, exposure, and prestige of Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates;
- Host and facilitate working groups of regional Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates;
- Alert Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates to outreach, training, fundraising or legislative opportunities as they arise;
- Provide liaison assistance as needed to help Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates gain access to opinion leaders and decision makers;
- Assist in Rapid Response efforts to assist Waterkeepers and Affiliates in time of crisis in their watersheds;
- Provide assistance to Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates by providing staff support for approved joint initiatives;
- Help to solve problems and to launch projects that benefit multiple Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates;
- Work with Development Department to conduct fundraising activities with the expectation of meeting certain goals;
- Equitably assist individual Waterkeepers and Affiliates when practical to strengthen their ability to effect change;
- Work with Training Department to organize and execute biennial Regional Summit and Global Conference;
- Engage in regular communication with other Waterkeeper Alliance Organizers to share best practices and ensure consistent service;
- Execute a work plan with metrics; and
- Engage in other duties assigned.
- At least 2-years’ professional experience with a nonprofit/charitable organization;
- A Bachelor's degree, or equivalent;
- Ability to take initiative, and work independently and efficiently to complete tasks;
- Ability to prioritize work and the flexibility to change directions as the job dictates;
- Ability to solve problems, work under pressure and maintain quality of detailed work while meeting deadlines;
- Experience working in complex environments with a high degree of organizational effectiveness and attention to detail;
- Empathetic, with ability to engage with and influence a variety of stakeholders, community and staff; able to anticipate unique needs of different audiences;
- A network, relationship, and community builder; socially confident with exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Keen understanding of Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) within an organization, across initiatives, and through navigating complex interpersonal relationships;
- Ability for occasional travel and weekend work;
- Passion for Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission;
- A positive attitude and a sense of humor;
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Location: Flexible, with a preference for New York, NY. Wherever located, the Organizer will be expected to provide support and assistance to all of the Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates in the Gulf and South Atlantic regions. The Organizer must reach out and be accessible to all of the regional Waterkeeper Organizations and Affiliates, with some travel required.
Job type: Full-time
Compensation: Competitive non-profit salary, commensurate with experience; excellent benefits.
Start Date: ASAP. This position will remain open until filled.
Culture & Benefits: Our staff and Waterkeepers are the heart of our mission, and we are committed to pursuing the principles of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) as we move forward to a more equal and empowering future as an organization. We aim to create and sustain a workforce that reflects the hundreds of global communities we strive to protect in our fight for clean water, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply to join our team!
We offer a competitive industry salary, excellent benefits including 15 vacation days and paid parental leave (after required period of employment), work from home opportunities, and a healthy work-life balance to all members of our team.
Applications: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, Subject: Organizer, Pacific Region. Please note that applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for this position.
Waterkeeper Alliance is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Waterkeeper is a registered trademark of Waterkeeper Alliance, Inc.