- Experience Level
Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) uses a portion of state lottery proceeds to protect and enhance Colorado’s parks, trails, wildlife, rivers, and open spaces in all 64 counties. It awards competitive grants to local governments, land trusts, and Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW), and makes investments directly through CPW. Created by voters in 1992, GOCO is governed by a 17-member board that is appointed by the governor and uses no tax dollars. GOCO’s staff is expanding from 17 to 21 full-time employees to better serve the people of Colorado.
GOCO's work is guided by its 2020 strategic plan rooted in these values:
- Resource conservation | We value strategic land conservation and resource protection work.
- Outdoor stewardship | We support sustainability of and improvements to the state's natural and recreational resources.
- Community vitality | We invest in conservation and outdoor recreation efforts that support communities and quality of life.
- Equitable access | We partner with communities to break down barriers to the outdoors.
- Youth connections | We support projects and programs that help children and families get outside more often and experience the benefits of doing so.
For more information, please visit www.GOCO.org.
Great Outdoors Colorado has an opportunity for a Communications Associate in Denver, Colorado.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) exempt position.
This position will report to the Communications Director and work out of GOCO’s office in Denver. The Communications Associate supports the communications team in executing a variety of marketing, storytelling, and outreach efforts. The Communications Associate will support the team in delivering communications that maintain the integrity of the GOCO brand within a variety of channels including public relations; social media, email marketing, and other digital platforms; and events. Additionally, this role will provide administrative support.
The Communications Associate is an ambassador for GOCO, building relationships with partners and seeking to develop a passion for communicating the benefits of conservation and outdoor recreation. Working through an equity lens, the communications team aims to convey information about GOCO with clear, accessible, and inclusive language while lifting up the authentic, community-centered stories of our partners. The team also spearheads communications for Generation Wild, a statewide, integrated marketing campaign getting Colorado youth and families outdoors more often.
- Work closely with GOCO’s communications team to develop and deliver the organization’s integrated marketing and communications strategy.
- Contribute content for GOCO’s website, blog, e-newsletter, and targeted emails as assigned.
- Manage social media strategy, content creation, analytics tracking, and optimization for GOCO and/or Generation Wild’s social media channels as assigned.
- Produce and execute public relations, social media, and email marketing plans for grant award cycles, including press release and pitch writing, following up with media contacts, and communicating news to state legislators.
- Coordinate and track GOCO attendance at events and attend events as a representative of GOCO and Generation Wild.
- Develop GOCO fact sheets and event materials, such as presentations and talking points, for staff or board members as needed.
- Make edits and additions to GOCO’s Salesforce database and act as the communications liaison for any database changes.
- Support internal communications, including producing content for board updates and compiling news clips for staff.
- Manage partner requests from the Generation Wild campaign and provide other marketing campaign support as assigned.
- Support intern recruitment and management, including posting job descriptions to attract diverse candidates, participating in interviews and phone screens, and training on tasks relevant to the Associate position.
- Perform administrative tasks, such as organizing and shipping GOCO and Generation Wild materials including project signage.
- Help deliver GOCO’s internal and external communications through an equity lens, ensuring that produced content uses clear, accessible, and inclusive language.
GOCO INTERNAL VALUES
- : Fit your work within GOCO’s overarching strategy and execute programs and projects against it, consistently evaluating results and communicating insights to help inform the organization’s evolving direction.
- : Treat others in a positive manner with recognition and appreciation for their distinct value, opinions, and contributions.
- : Take responsibility for your individual and team work to advance GOCO’s vision and priorities.
- Organizational Citizens: Create and participate in a culture that fosters growth, engagement, support, and success.
- BS/BA in marketing, communications, journalism, English, or other relevant area of study.
- 1-3 years of professional work experience.
- Familiarity with effective marketing and communications techniques.
- Knowledge of social media best practices.
- Desire to stay current with and adapt to best market practices and trends.
- Commitment to furthering GOCO’s mission to preserve, protect, and enhance the state’s wildlife, park, river, trail, and open space heritage.
- A demonstrated knowledge of and an interest in conservation, outdoor recreation, environmental education, and/or community development programs.
PREFERRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong research, writing, and proofreading abilities.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to manage your time effectively to complete assigned tasks.
- Positive, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude and initiative.
- Desire to work with people different from themselves.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive team player.
LOCATION REQUIREMENTS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Denver, Colorado.
- Willingness and ability to travel in Colorado. There will be travel that requires overnight stays. Expect approximately 10-15 overnight stays per year. GOCO provides transportation and accommodations and covers the cost of food and other reasonable expenses.
- Willingness to work periodically on evenings and weekends.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Physical demands may involve:
- Lifting materials and equipment – including, but not limited to, office supplies, event supplies, communications collateral, and boxes of swag – up to 25 pounds.
- Working in variable weather conditions at remote locations on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Starting salary is based on education, experience, skills, and other job-related factors.
- Salary range for the position: $43,250-$60,550.
- Hiring range for the position: $43,250-$51,900
- Bonus Eligibility: Employees are eligible to earn one-time bonuses after six months of employment for achieving significant business objectives.
- The position is eligible for a full and competitive benefits package, which includes:
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account / Flexible Spending Account,
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Short & Long-term Disability / Maternity & Paternity Leave
- Pension Plan / Mandatory Deferred Compensation Plan
- Vacation & Sick Leaves / Holiday Pay
- Training & Educational Opportunities
- Commuter Benefits
APPLICATION PROCESS AND TIMELINES:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Associate” in the subject line. All resumes and letters of interest must be received no later than 4:00 p.m., Monday, April 12, 2021, to be considered.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are encouraged to apply for this role.
Great Outdoors Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected status, or any other characteristic protected by law.