Development and Engagement, Associate
- Experience Level
Development and Engagement, Associate
About Every Mother Counts
Every Mother Counts’ mission is to make pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, everywhere. We educate the public about maternal health and invest in community-led programs to improve access to essential maternity care. We engage communities, thought leaders, and partners in efforts to achieve quality, respectful, and equitable maternity care for all.
Who You Are
Every Mother Counts (EMC) is seeking a bright and energetic Development and Engagement Associate to support fundraising and donor relations. You are a highly organized self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for EMC’s mission. You are a natural collaborator who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and are eager to learn as part of a small but dynamic team, supporting and advancing EMC’s efforts to raise funding from foundations, corporations and individuals. As the ideal candidate, you are a natural relationship builder and are able to work in a professional yet relatable manner with a variety of stakeholders, from Board members to major donors.
Development and Engagement Associate
As a core member of EMC’s Communications, Development and Engagement team reporting to the Associate Director of Development and Engagement, the associate plays a key role in sustaining and expanding our community of donors, including ambassadors, runners, and peer-to-peer fundraisers. The Associate will support the many activities and tactics that 1) provide our community with meaningful touch-points for engaging with our work, 2) offer opportunities for getting involved, and 3) inspire giving.
Donor Relations and Community Engagement
- Identify and research prospective new individual, institutional and corporate donors.
- Coordinate donor meetings compile targeted briefing materials (backgrounders and marketing collateral) and prepare senior leaders and team members so that they can be informed and effective in those meetings.
- Prepare weekly donation reports for the Founder and key team members for the purpose of sending timely, high touch thank yous.
- Manage next steps with major donors, keeping the Founder and other team members on track with regards to cultivation, follow up, ongoing stewardship, pledge collection, and other fundraising-related action items (e.g., receipts, corporate partnership agreements, thank you letters, hand-written notes, holiday cards) in an effective and timely manner.
- Research and identify major donor leads as well as grant application opportunities from institutional foundations throughout the year.
- Continuously track existing institutional donor reporting requirements and drive internal stakeholders towards hitting key deliverable timelines.
- Oversee EMC’s Ambassador Program of 50 volunteers and plan and execute the program’s annual retreat.
- Work with the Communications and Engagement team to identify and implement donor stewardship opportunities.
- Draft communications for donor correspondence, donation acknowledgment letters, and email and direct mail appeals; manage the process for sending out tax acknowledgment letters to offline donors.
- Ensure our donor marketing collateral are updated on a regular basis to reflect our latest work and impact metrics.
Running and Fitness Program
- Establish and maintain a running and fitness program strategy for Every Mother Counts in alignment with the organization’s strategy to grow the community, including the races we will participate in, team size and fundraising requirements.
- Lead the planning and execution of EMC’s core running and fitness events and activities, including our Global Mother’s Month Challenge and Race for Birth Justice.
- Collaborate with the communications team to create a marketing and communications plan to recruit new runners and deepen engagement with the existing community.
- Support all runners through their fundraising and ensure they have the resources they need in their training efforts.
- Create opportunities to optimize and streamline all running and fitness activities, including race recruitment, runner sign-up, and a runner’s welcome series.
- Manage the TeamEMC coach(es) to ensure that he/she is delivering the best experience possible for runners, including answering questions, leading weekly runs, managing the Facebook group.
- Develop and maintain a fitness fundraiser toolkit as a means for community members to raise awareness and funds on behalf of Every Mother Counts.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with race directors and/or charity leads with all core races and related partners such as Charity Miles, Spartan, Stroller Strides, etc.
Events and Communications
- Assist the Managing Director, Communications, Development & Engagement with the fielding, vetting and prepping for speaking and media requests.
- Research speaking engagements, interviews and events EMC is invited to, draft talking points, including suggesting which EMC CTA is strategic for each audience.
- Support the planning and execution of cultivation and fundraising events, including helping manage invitations, RSVPs, logistics and pre- and post-event follow up; prepare event itinerary for leadership; coordinate logistics and/or arrange travel as needed.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to leverage EMC’s content, including our Giving Birth in America docuseries, Delivering Hope: Maternal Health Heroes, for community engagement events (e.g.. film screenings, etc.) and coordinate/provide the necessary assets and materials to ensure success.
Data Management and Technology
- Manage donor CRM (Salesforce) and maintain clean and up-to-date donor and donation records, including adding and updating records with contact information, affiliations, new gifts, and pledges.
- Utilize internal data to help identify, cultivate, and/or grow long-term donor loyalists
- Create monthly fundraising reports and dashboard views to ensure visibility across the team on fundraising and partnership performance.
- Manage back-end processes for donation platforms including GiveLively, Haku, GoFundMe, PayPal, and more.
Qualifications and Characteristics
- 3+ years of relevant experience on a development or major gifts team with a bachelor’s degree
- Superior communications and writing skills; grant writing experience a plus
- Experience cultivating and managing relationships with a variety of internal and external constituents, from Board members to senior leaders to influencers
- Strong analysis, reporting, and data visualization skills
- Extremely organized and task-oriented with a sharp eye for detail
- Super collaborator with the ability to multi-task and deliver high-quality work on tight deadlines
- Excellent relationship-building skills and strong cross-cultural sensitivity with the ability to interact with
internal and external constituents from a diversity of backgrounds
- Keen judgement and discretion with the ability to represent EMC with the highest level of professionalism and polish
- Respect for our core values: equity, respect, community, compassion and good humor
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, especially in Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working in donor fundraising tools and CRM software. Salesforce and MailChimp experience a plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the job title to which you are applying in the subject line of the application email.
Equal Opportunity Employer