OFFICE MANAGER/PARALEGAL Charlottesville
- Experience Level
About the Position
The Legal Aid Justice Center is seeking a professional, high‐level Office Manager to provide
support to the Charlottesville office. This position will combine responsibility for (i) managing
the office environment; (ii) overseeing client intake; and (iii) providing support to LAJC’s
lawyers, organizers, paralegal, development, and finance staff. The Office Manager will report
to the Director of Finance and Operations and will directly supervise the Legal Assistant. In
addition, the Office Manager will oversee the student intern and volunteer program, which
provides office support and help with client intakes. Many of our clients are more comfortable
speaking and writing in Spanish, so Spanish fluency is preferred. This is a newly created
Oversee intake and client‐facing processes for all five jurisdictions for the office,
including promulgating and maintaining intake and referrals systems.
Manage all aspects of the office, including facilities, policies, and culture.
Oversee our non‐attorney internship and volunteer programming.
Lead weekly staff meetings.
Supervise the legal assistant who will assist with all spheres of office management.
Assist with additional needs including office accounting, grant reporting, attorney,
paralegal and organizer tasks, and development efforts.
• Mission‐aligned experience (lived or worked) working with low‐wealth communities
and communities of color
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to work and communicate effectively across lines of identity
• Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively
• Extremely proficient with Microsoft Office 365 Suite or similar software with the
ability to learn new or updated software.
• Systems thinking and demonstrated ability to create structures
• Strong communication and customer service skills
• Excellent time management and prioritization skills with a proven ability to meet
• Ability to solve problems and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
• Experience working in a legal office or prior experience working as an office manager
• Experience interacting with and providing services to low‐income clients (work or lived)
• Leadership ability to manage challenges in a fast‐paced work environment, including
ability to delegate tasks and motivate others
• Spanish fluency
• Management experience (lived or worked)
Email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Kyna Thomas, Director of Finance and
Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are able, please submit your application as a single
PDF titled “[date submitted in yyyy.mm.dd format] [last name] [first name] [position sought].”
Please include “Charlottesville Office Manager” in the email subject. The cover letter should
highlight any relevant experience (lived or worked) and any specialized skills, such as
technology skills and language fluency.
Applications will start being reviewed immediately and on a rolling basis. Questions? Contact
Elaine Poon at email@example.com.