5 days left
- Experience Level
Future Leaders of America (FLA) began as a grassroots response to the lack of Latinx role models in Oxnard, California in 1982. For 39 years now, FLA has provided over 9,000 low-income Latinx youth, and their families, with personal development, leadership development, educational experiences and advocacy training in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. FLA has worked tirelessly to develop strong communities through youth leadership, advocacy and positive role models. The organization is seeking positive role models who can continue the legacy of FLA’s leadership in the Central Coast.
FLA develops youth resiliency and leadership to create long-lasting systemic change by empowering and mobilizing youth leaders to advocate for policies that improve their lives and the lives of their peers and their communities.
FLA’s TARGET POPULATION
Future Leaders of America (FLA) is a community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of Latinx youth in the Central Coast. We believe that when the voices, experiences and histories of Latinx youth are recognized, the opportunity for self-development emerges and the foundation for critical thinking in leadership forms. FLA actively serves and welcomes youth through a peer-to-peer leadership curriculum that is responsive to the diverse Latinx experience in the Central Coast.
Future Leaders of America seeks mission-driven and experienced nonprofit leaders skilled in successfully executing strategic plans and empowering a high performing staff. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will be based out of the Central Coast counties of Ventura and Santa Barbara, and have overall leadership and management responsibility for our growing and impactful organization with a $1.7 million annual budget and 28 employees. To this end, the Board expects complete transparency on financial operations, key decisions, planning, staff hires, terminations, etc. The Executive Director will be responsible for serving as the spokesperson of the organization; leading and inspiring a team of co-leaders devoted to serving the community, and to foster a community-honoring organization that exemplifies transparency, integrity and accountability. The individual selected will also establish a vision for the reach and impact of Future Leaders of America in the Central Coast.
Leadership & Management
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, consistent quality of finance and administration, long term fundraising, communications, and systems; build strategies, timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Collaborate with and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing operations
- Actively engage and energize FLA volunteers, board members, committees, regions, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Be a thought-leader and expand FLA’s regional presence through publishing and communicating organizational impact, emphasizing reliable and relevant data that reinforces the importance of youth voices.
- Coordinate staff alignment, working together toward common goals.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing and new program operations and regional expansion.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Prioritize efforts for major donor development.
- Lead FLA’s major fundraising events including Latino Legacy Awards, El Reencuentro, and Holiday Fundraisers
- Lead grant writing efforts and stewardship
Finance and Strategic Planning
- Understand and oversee all aspects of the finance function including bookkeeping, audit and grants administration.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop/implement FLA’s strategic plan and strategic objectives to move the mission and agenda forward.
- Oversee annual work and budget planning, regularly updating plans and coordinating to insure long-term objectives are met.
- Approve and manage expenses relative to budget.
- Manage all financial matters in accordance with Future Leaders of America, Inc. policies and financial standards.
- Establish strategic and tactical plans for the implementation of the FLA’s outreach into the local community.
- Communicate vision and direction to the volunteers, clients, and donors.
- Interact and network with community, public and educational leaders to affect positive joint outcomes.
- Work closely with local media to communicate FLA’s mission and vision throughout the region.
- Ensure FLA’s present implementation of the 805 UndocuFund, in collaboration with partner organizations, and assist with the development of the 805 UndocuFund as an independent nonprofit organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent level of experience is preferred
- At least 7 years’ experience in leading youth leadership programs and curriculum
- Experience with Board management
- Cultural awareness competency (first generation, Latinx, Immigrant)
- Strong bilingual skills in both English and Spanish
- Proven experience with raising funds for nonprofits from diverse sources (Private, Government, Corporations, Alumni, etc.) and meeting set fundraising goals
- Prior experience with program evaluation methods
- With leadership team, design grassroots campaigns that apply data and advocacy strategies for social change
- Outdoor leadership skills (first aid certification, competence in camping best practices, awareness of risk factors/management in the outdoors, tolerant of nature’s challenges)
- Proven commitment to social justice (i.e. immigration, environmental, anti-blackness, LGBTQ+)
- Demonstrated commitment and passion for working with youth to provide access to education, and expand social justice
- Experience with and desire to work with diverse cultures and the ability to engage people from a variety of backgrounds on a one-on-one basis or group format
- Strategic and analytical political thinking skills to think through a variety of community issues and strategies and forecast possible and realistic results
- Strong written and verbal skills including large group presentations and public speaking
- Tech and social media savvy – have skills beyond basic computer literacy
- Able to work independently, as part of a team and as a team leader
- Able to set own work priorities, manage responsibilities and time
- Ability to link neighborhood-based issues with regional, state and national issues
- Sense of humor, creative thinker and a risk-taker
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Valid driver’s license with insurance and dependable access to a car to drive for work. Background check through the California Justice Department is required.
A competitive salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include two weeks paid vacation in addition to 12 office holidays; medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partners. The salary range for the Executive Director position is $90,000 -- $115,000 per Board decision.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and references by May 7, 2021 at 5pm to Teresa Alvarez, FLA Board Chair, at email@example.com subject: Executive Director
Future Leaders of America, Inc. has a deep commitment to fostering equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from individuals of diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds and representing all genders, ages, spiritual beliefs, and identities
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Youth Development Full Time jobs in Santa Barbara
- Administrative / Clerical Youth Development Full Time jobs in Santa Barbara
- Advocacy / Lobbying Youth Development Full Time jobs in Santa Barbara
- Development / Fundraising Youth Development Full Time jobs in Santa Barbara
- Executive / Senior Management Youth Development Full Time jobs in Santa Barbara