Director of Finance, Black Futures Lab and Black to the Future Action Fund
- Experience Level
The Black Futures Lab 501(c)3 works to make Black communities powerful in politics. We transform Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems our communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. We advance strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve, while building political power at the local, state and national level in order to implement those alternatives.
This position is shared with our sister entity Black to the Future Action Fund, a separate 501(c)4.
The Finance Director manages all financial activities for the organization, including but not limited to preparing, reviewing and tracking organizational and department budgets, and overseeing cash flow. The Finance Director also oversees all investment activities. The Finance Director reports directly to the Principal.
BUDGET PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop financial strategy for the organization
- Lead annual budget planning and monthly forecast process with fiscal sponsor to ensure proper reporting.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reporting packages for Principal, senior management, and Advisory Boards (B2AF and BFL);
- Work closely with BFL and B2AF fiscal sponsors to align management and oversight systems;
- Support creation of board and senior management presentations providing an overview of the organization’s results and updates to the financial budget for Board meetings;
- Support department heads to oversee and monitor program budgets
FINANCIAL MONITORING AND OVERSIGHT
- Manage and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local law requirements for all 501(c)3, 501(c)4 and PAC expenditures and subsequent reporting;
- Develop and implement internal controls and financial governance of the organization, in coordination with fiscal sponsor(s)
- Work with Administrative team to develop and implement tools to improve reporting and analytics for revenue and key expense items, financial statements, and key metrics
- Oversee fiscal sponsor accounting and ensure alignment and accuracy
- Oversee cash flow management
- Assess, manage and minimize financial risk to the organization
- Analyze complex financial data
- Work directly with the Principal to design and implement fundraising strategies
- Develop organizational budgets as needed for grant applications
- Monitor organizational budgets for grant requirements
- Oversee financial reporting for grant requirements
- Proven experience as a Finance Director, particularly in a non-profit organization
- Minimum of 5 years hands on experience with accounting and financial management
- Ability to design, manage and implement strategy
- Expertise in Google Suite and Microsoft Excel
- Strong aptitude for math
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles
- Proficiency in accounting software
- Impeccable verbal, written, research, communication and deck creation skills and experience
- Demonstrated alignment with Black Futures Lab / Black to the Future Action Fund’s mission, and a strong commitment to racial and/or social justice
- Ability to prioritize competing projects and multi-task across a broad spectrum of collaborators, based in various office locations or working remotely
- Able to work independently in a face-paced environment, with a proactive approach
- Commitment to confidentiality and ability to exercise absolute discretion
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors
- Ability to work long hours, nights, and weekends, if needed
- Ability to be available via text and/or phone to problem address urgent concerns if they arise
Due to concerns related to COVID-19, this position will function as remote until further notice.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $80,000 - $100,000. Black Futures Lab / Black to the Future Action Fund offers comprehensive benefits packages including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance and other resources to support a centered, healthy quality of life for staff and their families.
How to Apply:
Submit resume, cover letter and writing sample (combined in one PDF), and three references to https://cpasf.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=102. Open until filled.
Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ and disabled people are encouraged to apply. Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.