Upward Bound Summer Instructors
- Experience Level
Organization: KeyPoint Alliance, Inc. www.1kpa.org
Title of Position: Summer Teachers/Instructors
Department: TRIO Upward Bound Programs
Reports To: Program Directors
Salary Range: $25-$30 per hour (pay will be commensurate with qualifications/education and experience)
Special Note: Tentatively, this program is anticipated to be implemented on a college campus at an Atlanta metro area college; however, please be aware that due to COVID-19, this may be a virtual teaching position, thus some experience with online instruction is a plus
About our Program: The Upward Bound (UB) program is a federally funded grant program that provides fundamental support to participants in preparation for college. Its purpose is to identify and serve eligible students by providing opportunities for their academic development and enrichment, assisting students with college preparation and motivating students toward the successful completion of a high school diploma and post-secondary enrollment, persistence and completion. Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education. The UB program at KeyPoint Alliance serves students in Atlanta and Douglasville, Georgia. KeyPoint Alliance, is seeking a variety of part-time instructors for its 6-week UB summer program( instructors only needed for 5 weeks), which will occur in a college setting in the metro Atlanta area.
Part-Time Summer Instructor/Teacher Openings for the Following Areas: Math, Science, English, Spanish, French, Fine Arts , Performing Arts, Communication, Business, SAT/ACT Prep, Sociology, and Enrichment Activities and other relevant and interesting subjects
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject area; 1 year of teaching experience, or at least 18 hours (with a 3.0 GPA or better) completed graduated course work in content areas; experience developing and writing effective lesson plans.
Preferred Qualifications: High school or college teaching experience; come from a socio-economic background similar to the TRIO Upward Bound student population; Georgia teaching licensure (for Math, Science, English); master’s degree in qualifying content area; experience teaching low income students.
Must be able to teach at least one of the following to mixed-ability classes:
• Math: Ability to teach geometry, algebra 2, pre-calculus, or calculus
• Science: Ability to teach general physical science, environmental science, earth systems science, chemistry, biology and/or physics
• English: Ability to teach literature and composition (grammar, essay writing, etc.)
• Spanish: Ability to teach conversational Spanish
• French: Ability to teach conversational French
• Fine Arts: Ability to teach painting, music, or film (i.e. video production/editing). Must provide samples and/or video of work
• Performing Arts: Ability to teach popular dance (Hip Hop, Step, Afrikan, Salsa, etc.) or acting/drama (must provide video of work)
• Business: Ability to teach entrepreneurship skills
• SAT/ACT Prep: Ability to teach SAT/ACT preparation skills
• Sociology (or other relevant field): Ability to teach matters pertaining to hip hop's influence on popular culture, activism, social justice, etc.
• Enrichment Activities: Ability to teach an engaging subject that enriches the students' intellectual, social, personal, career and/or professional development
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Teach classes to high school participants as part of KeyPoint Alliance Upward Bound summer program
• Revise and/or create subject specific lesson plans aligned with UB’s academic summer program theme
• Select materials for themed designed courses based on UB staff recommendations
• Develop and submit lesson and assessment plans
• Deliver courses geared towards generating excitement for learning, as well as developing concrete academic skills in UB participants
• Provide course content in a manner that helps UB participants to have a head start on their upcoming fall course work (for Math, Science, English only)
• Maintain order in the classroom and monitor, record and report students’ performance on a weekly basis
• Provide appropriate classroom management for 9th-12th graders
• Maintain student records in a secure and confidential manner
• Complete formative and summative evaluations for each student in class(es)
• Chaperone and participant in field trips
• Attend UB staff orientations, weekly meetings and post-summer meeting(s)
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Possess excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills
• Must be able to follow instructions and be detailed oriented
• Demonstrate the motivation to work with students from diverse backgrounds
• Demonstrate patience in working with teens, and have a genuine ability to connect with teens
• Possess discretion, sound judgment, and solid decision making skills.
• Be sensitive to the needs of diverse and disadvantaged populations
• Deliver engaging, interactive age appropriate instruction that keeps youth intellectually curious, interested and focused
• Be adaptable and flexible regarding scheduling to meet programming needs.
• Must be able to travel to and from the summer site program location which will be located within the metro Atlanta area.
• Must be available to commit to teach classes from Monday, June 7th – Friday, July 9, 2021
• Must be available to chaperone Friday field trips during the summer program
• Must be available between the hours of 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday – Friday during the 6-week summer program
• Must be available to attend the UB staff orientation and UB Student/Parent Orientation during the last week of May and 1st week of June.
• July 5th No classes
• Must be able to teach two(2) - four(4) 50-60 minute classes (depending on the class type/subject)
• Pay rate is $25-$30 per hour (paid monthly)
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Interested persons must submit four (4) items which are:
- Complete the entire application for this position (including salary information).
- Provide a cover letter expressing interest in the position, as well as specify the subject area(s) qualified to be taught to UB participants.
- Attach or include a resume detailing relevant experience
- Provide the names and telephone numbers of three (3) professional references. At least two (2) of the three (3) references must be current or former supervisors.
Please note: a criminal background check and drug screening is required. Please, NO phone calls regarding this position.
If you desire more than the advertised salary range, your application Will NOT be considered.
Also, please complete the entire application. Incomplete applications Will NOT be reviewed.