Director of Operations
- Degree Level
Position Title: DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
A Unique Opportunity
Piedmont Park is the green, beating heart of Atlanta. The historic, nearly 200-acre Park welcomes over four million visitors a year from all walks of life. Piedmont Park is neighbors with the Atlanta Botanical Garden, and the Atlanta Beltline runs along its entire eastern border.
The Park is a regional asset and a vibrant part of the midtown community and economy. Its abundant natural beauty includes woods, Lake Clara Meer, creeks, rivers and walking paths. The Park offers dog parks, a pool, tennis courts, children’s playgrounds, vast playing fields and countless events, festivals, recreational and educational activities.
Founded in 1989, the Piedmont Park Conservancy (PPC) is a nonprofit working in partnership with the City of Atlanta to enhance and preserve Piedmont Park as a vital, urban green space and as a cultural and recreational resource that enriches the quality of life for all Atlantans. PPC seeks to provide unique, inspiring and uplifting Park experiences and programs that nurture health and well-being. PPC is committed to understanding and advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in our organization, programs we offer, and the communities we serve.
PPC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all individuals and is dedicated to the principles of fairness and equality in all of its employment practices for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or and other characteristic protected by law. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified individuals, employment decisions at PPC will be based on careful consideration of merit, qualifications, education, prior experience, and abilities. PPC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Operations is responsible for the day-to-day operations, maintenance, safety and upkeep of all Piedmont Park Conservancy (PPC) owned and managed facilities, sports fields and recreational amenities as well as the majority of Piedmont Park’s grounds, landscaping and natural resources. The successful candidate will understand and help advance PPC’s Strategic Vision & Action. He/she must understand the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Operating Agreement between PPC and the City of Atlanta, and work collaboratively with the Department of Parks & Recreation and other key partners and neighbors on Park operational issues.
Essential Functions and Role Responsibilities
Management and supervision of 8-10 full-time staff and contract employees, goal setting, budget development, expense management, and P&L oversight:
Facilities and Grounds
- Develop/implement work processes that are best practices for the operation of a public space including the natural spaces, lawns, mechanical systems and buildings
- Coordinate with the Park’s Community Outreach Manager to help utilize volunteers (including skilled volunteers)
- Review/comment on (or supervise staff that performs said duties) all permit applications submitted to the City of Atlanta (event or film-related) so that they conform with City Parks rules and consider the care, upkeep and preservation of the park’s natural and man-made assets. Minimize event conflict wherever possible and recommend mitigation strategies if damage occurs
- Act as liaison with PPC’s security vendor, Atlanta Police Department and Midtown Blue to help keep the park safe.
- Coordinate with the COO and City of Atlanta Department of Parks & Recreation personnel on communicating condition of City owned assets
Programs & Facilities Rentals
- Coordinate with PPC Facilities Rentals Staff to ensure excellent care and upkeep of facilities and grounds maximizing rental revenue.
- Coordinate with Programs staff to ensure in excellent care and upkeep of the Active Oval, Basketball and Bocce courts and Aquatic Center and other Programming Facilities
- Work with the Chief Operating Officer in developing and updating a multi-year Capital Improvement Plan
- Assist the Chief Development Officer to help identify Park projects that would benefit from donor and philanthropic support
- Manage the procurement of Operations related goods and services for the Conservancy. Solicit bids and directly supervise Facility and Grounds, and other Operations related contractors and vendors hired by PPC including but not limited to HVAC, electrical, plumbing, security, janitorial, recycling and other contracted services.
- Oversee the Parks major systems and infrastructure, including building MEP systems, Aquatic’s Center, Legacy Fountain, Lake Clara Meer, irrigation systems and other park assets and landscape equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- He/she will serve on several Board and staff committees, including but not limited to Facilities & Grounds, Sustainability and others as deemed appropriate.
Education & Experience
Preferred: BA or BS degree plus a minimum of five years’ experience, or 7-12 years of equivalent experience in a related fields such as horticulture, landscape design, architecture, urban land or parks management, construction management, facility and grounds management. Must have valid driver’s license.
Team player with excellent communication skills. Proficient in Windows, MS Word and Excel. Knowledge of other software tools such as Asana, and aptitude to learn other software applications. Georgia Pesticide License preferred. Experience in staff management, planning, procurement, landscape installation and maintenance, building assessments, general construction, repairs, operations and maintenance. Ability to prepare and manage an operating budget, conduct performance reviews and develop profit & loss documents. Ability to work and negotiate with a variety of organizations, vendors, constituencies and individuals. Must be self-directed and able to manage multiple tasks.
Ability to lift 50 lbs. Able to work outdoors in various weather conditions for extended periods of time. When required, able to work weekend and evenings. Must be available to respond to emergencies.
- Health insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Worker’s Compensation
- Vacation & Floating Holiday
- Conservancy Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave
- Personal Leave
- Family and Medical Emergency Leave
- Bereavement Time
- Jury Duty Leave
- Military Leave
- Retirement 401K
- Facility Rental Discount