Business Engagement Manager
- Degree Level
The Coalition for Nonprofit Housing & Economic Development (CNHED) is a 501(c)(3) association for the nonprofit affordable housing and community economic development sector in the District of Columbia, with more than 180 organizational members. CNHED’s mission is to advance community development solutions that address the inequity of under-resourced communities in the District of Columbia. CNHED’s strength is in its convening power, highly successful advocacy, robust communications and information sharing, and equipping its members with tools and resources for their work. CNHED’s organizational members include nonprofit and for-profit affordable housing developers, housing counseling and service agencies, community economic development organizations, workforce and business development entities, lenders, intermediaries, and government agencies.
A high-impact initiative in Mayor Bowser’s DC Economic Strategy, the DC Community Anchor Partnership (DCAP) is led by the Coalition for Nonprofit Housing & Economic Development (CNHED) in partnership with the DC Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED). DCAP anchor members – place-based hospitals and universities – work to maximize the economic value of doing business with local suppliers while advancing inclusive contracting and procurement with minority-owned business enterprises (MBEs), particularly Black- and Brown-owned businesses, in the District of Columbia. DCAP looks to strengthen the local economy by growing DC MBEs, creating jobs, and generating wealth.
The hospitals and universities located in the District of Columbia collectively spend more than $2 billion on goods and services every year, but less than 1% goes to DC MBEs (as of 2018). Having one of the highest concentrations of anchor institutions and one of the largest networks of MBEs, DC is ripe for anchor leadership in inclusive contracting and procurement. To capture this opportunity, DCAP works with local hospitals and universities to conduct purchasing data analysis, to help build internal infrastructure to sustainably support local supplier diversity, and to facilitate business relationships between anchor members and local MBEs.
The Coalition for Nonprofit Housing & Economic Development (CNHED) is seeking an entrepreneurial, team-oriented professional to manage local business engagement for a high-impact, high-visibility cross-sector partnership: the DC Community Anchor Partnership (DCAP). This is a full-time position that is part of an eight-person office. The Business Engagement Manager will report directly to the VP of Strategic Partnerships and will primarily be responsible for developing, nurturing and managing all DCAP local business relationships.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Community engagement and capacity building
- Establish comprehensive outreach strategies to DC MBEs to create an extensive network of high-performing local suppliers
- Communicate with the businesses via surveys, focus groups and informational interviews to understand their capabilities, needs and the barriers they have faced in connecting with anchor institutions
- Connect and refer businesses to community partners (e.g. Technical Assistance, capital providers, etc.) and other resources needed for their growth
- Collaborate with web developers to develop online portal within CNHED website to establish business intake form and to host repository of qualified businesses
Business vetting and referrals
- Develop strategies to ensure that local and diverse business enterprises are given full consideration in the DCAP anchor members’ bidding and selection processes
- Revamp screening process and vetting tool to assess business readiness for institutional contracting opportunities; strategies include website reviews, phone calls, meetings, etc.
- Identify, screen and refer businesses to fitting anchor member contracting opportunities
- Notify businesses of upcoming RFP opportunities, provide support / feedback pre- and post-submission, and conduct follow-up calls as needed
Data collection and impact communications:
- Track and record referral outcomes and impact metrics to provide accurate and timely reporting regarding DCAP’s supplier outreach
- Capture and document businesses’ success stories to be published in impact communications
- Associate’s Degree required, Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree preferred
- At least 2 years of experience in supplier diversity, small business engagement or other related field preferred
- Existing strong partnerships with diverse supplier communities, minority chambers of commerce and / or other business support organizations
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, organizational and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Word and Excel)
- Creativity and the ability to work with minimal supervision and with a variety of user groups and external suppliers
- Strong analytical, data management, and negotiation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including collaboration, team building, problem solving, listening and relationship building
Compensation and Benefits
CNHED offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, employer retirement contributions, paid vacation and sick leave, teleworking, and an optional deferred salary retirement plan. Salary is commensurate with experience and track record of accomplishments. This position is exempt from overtime wages.
Please email a resume (with "Business Engagement Manager" in the subject line) along with cover letter of interest and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. The position is open until filled. References may be required. CNHED is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people of color, women, LGBTQIA+, and people with disabilities to apply.