- Experience Level
Position Title: Financial Administrator
Reports To: Senior Pastor
Hours/Days of Week: 20-24 hours per week during church office hours (require more hours in certain months than others).
General Function: Responsible for the accurate, timely, and complete preparation, posting, and maintenance of all financial/accounting transactions and reports.
- Counts and records all contributions and other monies received
- Prepares semi-monthly payroll for Church staff; makes payroll transfers and prepares related payroll tax reports
- Pays invoices/check requests, insuring appropriate account distribution
- Prepares monthly financial statements
- Performs monthly bank reconciliations
- Sends quarterly statements to contributors and provides timely response for special gifts
- Prepares standard financial analytics and projections
- Human Resources Coordination: benefits enrollment, new employee paperwork & setup, issuance of W2s/1099s
- Endowment Grant reporting and expenditure analysis
- Corporate credit card management
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required
1. Attention to Detail: Consistently attends to the many small pieces which must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out of balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps the larger picture in mind while tending to the smallest of details.
2. Informing Others: Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs well; helps people understand the information and knowledge and its relevance to the task at hand; is timely and transparent in the sharing of information.
3. Integrity and Trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others; practices direct, honest and transparent communication; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t operate with hidden agendas; responds to situations with constancy and reliability.
4. Technical Expertise: Acquires and demonstrates the technical skills required to proficiently execute the essential functions of the job; understands which skills are lacking and seeks to develop those skills; continually works toward the mastery of technical proficiency.
5. Time Management: Is able and willing to focus time on tasks that contribute to organizational goals; Uses time effectively and efficiently; values time and respects the time of others; concentrates his/her efforts on the most important priorities; can appropriately balance priorities.
6. Helping Orientation: Demonstrates concern for and attends to the needs of the congregation’s internal and external constituents; projects a sense of empathy and understanding when dealing with members and friends of the congregation; is able and willing to supply answers and resources that others finds satisfying.
7. Organizational Knowledge: Knowledgeable about how congregational communication, decision making and leadership works; knows how to get things done through formal and informal decision-making channels; can maneuver through charged political situations effectively and quietly; anticipates organizational barriers are and plans his/her approach accordingly.
8. Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and directs the time of others to what is important; quickly zones in on the critical issue and ignores or minimizes distractions; can sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; demonstrates focus.
9. Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships with all others who are relevant
to the completion of work; works well with people at all levels of the congregation; builds
appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is
approachable; avoids communication triangles.
10. Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values and beliefs of the congregation; can demonstrate those values to others; consistently behaves in a manner congruent with the mission, vision, values and beliefs.
- Minimum 5 years accounting/bookkeeping experience
- Extensive experience with Excel
- Accounting degree preferred but not required
- Experience with ACS software preferred but not required
- Prior experience working for a church a plus
Effect on End Result:
Effective job performance of this position will result in timely and accurate financial information as required for staff/Session, timely and accurate payment of financial obligations, and timely and accurate completion of all reports.
Most functions are performed in the Financial Administrator’s office, at the desk or computer, with some filing requirements. Occasional trips to the bank are required for cash deposits. Communicative collaboration with the Church Finance Council and Treasurer is expected.