- Position Type
Time: 5 hours per week
Location: Flexible within the U.S.
Position: Volunteer, Required Travel Covered
ESW is striving to have a measurable impact on 100 communities a year (and 500 a year by 2030) and your role is crucial in being a proactive and inspiring program leader and go-to person for students and professionals who will help them to bring even more sustainability initiatives to life.
The Program Coordinator will manage and improve operations for ongoing program initiatives as well as help design new programs that further ESW’s mission and strategic goals. This includes managing a program such as the Resilient CommUnity Design Challenge, Build Day, or Project Grants and providing direct project support and mentoring to student chapters.
The Program Coordinator will also work closely with the other members of the Programming, Chapter Relations, and Professional Relations team to implement new initiatives for chapters, develop project guidance and tracking materials, and develop digital resources for project leaders.
This position is flexible, and can accommodate work and school schedules. To apply, please send your resumé/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to add a short "Why me" (up to 150 words), as we would love to know you better! Please contact us with any questions you may have as well.
About Engineers for a Sustainable World
Engineers for a Sustainable World (ESW) is a nonprofit dedicated to empowering engineers to tackle sustainability challenges. We believe that engineers, and anyone who loves to solve problems, are key to solving today's biggest sustainability challenges. Founded in 2002, ESW is an international network of over 1,750 members and more than 45 collegiate chapters working to build a more sustainable world through technical hands-on projects. Since its founding, ESW has supported over 300 chapter-led projects in 12 countries and 23 states and Canadian provinces.
- Managing program initiatives within the Programs team
- Assisting Programming Director/Program Manager with program development, fundraising and outreach strategies, scheduling and organizing project meetings and special events, and assessing and improving ESW’s programming
- Assisting with tracking and updating program/project budgets
- Assisting in writing documentation and marketing copy for program initiatives
- Assisting the PR/Marketing Director with marketing campaigns, newsletters, social media posts, blog posts, etc
- Supporting chapter accountability for program tasks, goals and objectives, and milestones
- Providing project guidance and mentoring to chapters
- Helping chapters locate local partners for projects
- Maintaining and updating the Build Day and CommUnity website
- Attending bi-weekly Programs meetings.
Desired skills and qualifications
- Passionate about sustainability, and agree with our Mission, Vision, and Values
- General knowledge of the breadth of sustainability topics
- Entrepreneurial service-learning mindset with creativity, drive, and leadership skills
- Experience in project or program management
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Experience using digital tools such as Google Suite, Slack, and video conferencing (we use Zoom and Hangouts/Meet)
- Able to work well both independently, establish and meet deadlines, prioritize tasks
- Able to coordinate and work well in a team environment
- Good judgment and ability to make decisions in ambiguous, complex situations
- A current ESW member or willingness to become a member.
Additional bonus experience
- Understanding of community engagement, empowerment, and social responsibility
- Prior experience working with a nonprofit network of chapters
- Comfortable working in a remote, virtual team environment
- Comfortable working in a dispersed team across multiple time zones
- Web design experience with Wix or WordPress
- Task management systems such as Asana or Trello.
ESW does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, age, religion, or economic background. Further, we strongly encourage individuals from traditionally underrepresented identities to apply, including identities not explicitly named above. If there are any considerations or qualifications not acknowledged in our job description that you feel are important and relevant to this position, we encourage you to bring them to light in your application.