Au Pair Campaigner
- Position Type
- Temporary / Seasonal
Position: Full-Time, Temporary 6 month Position
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Campaigns Director
Location: DMV, NY, NJ, preferred. Flexible.
The National Domestic Workers Alliance (www.domesticworkers.org) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. We work to guarantee labor protections for domestic workers by winning legislation at the state level, pushing for regulatory changes at the national level, through the International Labor Organization at the global level, and elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents over 70 affiliates and chapters and thousands of individual domestic worker members in 36 cities and 20 states nationally. The Au Pair Organizer will organize au pair workers and host families in support of our local and state campaigns for domestic worker rights and protections. Au pairs are domestic workers who provide child care in family homes and work in the US temporarily through a work visa program.
- Organize au pairs and host families in the states in support state and federal campaigns
- Work with campaign director to develop a strategy for recruitment of au pairs and host families in-person and digitally
- Coordinate leadership development of au pairs and host families, including developing them as spokespeople in support of domestic worker
- Support policy team to educate state legislators, congressional offices and relevant federal agencies on our domestic worker and au pair agenda; support the cultivation of state legislators and congressional members who can champion the inclusion of au pairs in domestic work and other relevant labor/workers rights policies.
- Support au pairs seeking legal assistance by connecting them to lawyers/legal organizations
- Highly motivated individual with a passion for organizing and campaigning
- 5 years applicable work experience
- Knowledge of issues affecting Black domestic workers nationally and locally.
- Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage, and inspire community members
- Strong and effective communicator
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Hard-working and self-disciplined.
- Ability to work well with a team and motivate others to take action.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends
- Basic computer skills: (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Bi-lingual preferred
How to apply
Please send resume, cover letter and a writing sample to https://domesticworkers.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=161
Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQIA+ people strongly urged to apply.