Director of Video, Action Fund
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Reports to: Senior Director of Digital Creative
- Staff reporting to this position: Motion Graphics Producer
- Department: CAP Action War Room
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Video to join the CAP Action War Room’s growing creative team. This team’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling video and graphic content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
We’re looking for applicants who are passionate about being a leader and mentor to a growing team of talented video producers and editors. The Director of Video will envision and create compelling video content with an emphasis on data visualization. The public is more overwhelmed than ever, and we’re looking to bring on a leader with a deep understanding of how to create, optimize, and deliver video content that will break through the clutter and grab people’s attention.
A strong candidate for this role should have the technical skills and strategic perspective to produce, edit, and manage video and motion graphics projects for all digital platforms, with an emphasis on optimizing content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
This is a full-time position.
- Brainstorm, craft, and disseminate innovative and creative visual content that helps move the needle on American Progress’ core fights.
- Manage and mentor a growing team of video producers and editors with diverse skill sets.
- Project manage, optimize, and execute video projects that advance CAP Action’s strategic goals.
- Read and translate complicated datasets and information into easy-to-interpret data visualizations with little or no direction.
- Leverage insights from the social team to optimize and improve our video content strategy and positioning for each channel.
- Work with CAP Action’s leadership team and American Progress’ policy teams to advance advocacy goals by using video to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Manage and grow CAP Action’s relationships with external video production vendors.
- Optimize and version out CAP Action video products for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to maximize key performance indicators, including video views, shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Work with the Senior Director of Digital Creative to create scripts for products that advance CAP Action’s messaging in digestible, shareable formats.
- Work closely with the broader Digital Strategy and Communications teams to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and target audiences for our priority campaigns.
- Catalog production releases, process invoices, and pull data for reports.
- Identify opportunities to repackage and recut existing footage that fits into current CAP Action campaigns and allows the team to better capitalize on rapid response.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in video.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least eight years of professional experience editing and producing motion graphics videos for major political, advocacy, or news organizations.
- Extensive experience working in Adobe Creative Cloud, including Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Proficiency in After Effects is a must.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- A strong desire to take on a management and leadership role to a talented motion graphics producer and potentially additional motion graphics editors as the team grows.
- Outstanding project management skills and proficiency in Excel.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Familiarity with shooting, operating cameras, and interviewing is a plus.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS is preferred.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $90,000.