Director of Design, Action Fund
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Reports to: Senior Director of Digital Creative
- Staff reporting to this position: Graphics Associate
- Department: CAP Action War Room
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Design to join the CAP Action War Room’s growing creative team. The team’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling visual content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
A strong candidate for this role will work as part of a digital team that creates infographics, digital ads, websites, email newsletters, and videos. The Director of Design’s responsibilities include developing new brand identities and logos, designing and curating content for social media channels, and designing email newsletters and microsites as needed.
The ideal candidate should be able to read and translate complicated data and information into easy-to-interpret visual representations with little or no direction. The Director of Design will also provide mentorship and guidance to junior staff and peers and will be responsible for helping track their team’s products from start to finish.
- Project manage, optimize, and execute design projects for social media that advance American Progress’ strategic goals.
- Manage and mentor a growing team of designers.
- Work with CAP Action’s leadership team and American Progress’ policy teams to advance advocacy goals by using design to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Brainstorm, pitch, and execute ideas for graphic content for our Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter channels.
- Work with the Senior Director of Digital Creative to create and develop strong brand identities for our social channels and core advocacy campaigns.
- Leverage insights from the social team to improve our design strategy and positioning for each channel.
- Optimize and version out CAP Action graphics for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to maximize key performance indicators, including shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Create charts, graphs, and infographics from data, working with policy teams.
- Develop graphics for web and video on an as-needed basis.
- Work with American Progress’ Technology team to design microsites from start to finish.
- Work with the Senior Director of Digital Creative and policy teams to create short scripts for products that advance CAP Action’s messaging in digestible, shareable formats.
- Perform project management and tracking duties as assigned.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in social media design.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related major and at least eight years of professional design experience in social media.
- High-level proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS X environment as well as with the Microsoft Office suite.
- A strong portfolio of design work for social media and/or portfolio website.
- A strong desire to take on a management and leadership role for a talented graphics associate and additional graphic designers as the team grows.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS is preferred.
- Highly creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $90,000.