Finance and Operations Manager
- Experience Level
The Finance & Operations Manager is a key member of the Fair Count team, ensuring our operations, bookkeeping, and grant administration are timely, accessibile, and accurate. The Finance & Operations Manager will be responsible for carrying out the day-to-day bookkeeping, bill paying, and grant fund tracking of a multi-million dollar nonprofit organization. Working directly with the Director of Development and the CEO, she/he/they will be a punctual perfectionist who is dedicated to accuracy. The Finance & Operations Manager will also liaise with a CPA firm who executes our annual audit and 990, fulfilling their needs in a timely way. Strong candidates will pay excruciating attention to detail, be organized and thorough in work and communication, and be fluent in financial documentation and planning while demonstrating a real commitment to working on a team in an interactive and dynamic environment.
The Finance & Operations Manager will be a fully informed and thoughtful member of the team who will participate in full team meetings and strategy sessions regularly. This position requires multi-tasking and working independently. The Finance & Operations Manager must bring to the table a nimble attitude and an entrepenurial spirit, as Fair Count is a rapidly evolving organization, responding to a quickly changing landscape, and duties, expectations and definitions of success will be fluid as the organization grows.
Duties of the Finance & Operations Manager include:
- Handles ordering, purchasing, and shipping of supplies and materials for the team and program;
- Tracks reimbursement and mileage requests;
- Expertly inputs data and runs reports in Quickbooks, keeping all accounting current;
- Produces financial reports and accounting records on a regular schedule and upon request;
- Processes and files checks, invoices, and other financial materials appropriately;
- Supports Board relations through clear communication of financial reporting and analysis;
- Interfaces with external parties on financial matters, including bank relations, customer invoices, accounting firms, state and federal tax registration and reporting, etc.;
- Oversees the distribution of office materials, technology and other items of value;
- Tracks and records Fair Count locations, items, assets and any other need in clear, concise and easily understood spreadsheets;
- Handles the operations of opening and closing field offices, utilities, contracts and staffing needs as needed;
- Works with the CEO to ensure that cash flow and budgetary projections are met;
- Participates in staff meetings, brainstorms, and office-wide strategy sessions;
- Assists leadership and other Fair Count departments as needed with tasks that may or may not be directly associated with the title of Finance & Operations Manager.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- A minimum of three years working in finance at a $2 million + nonprofit organization;
- An understanding of grants management, restricted and unrestricted funds, general operating funds, and financial laws and procedures;
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines;
- Detail oriented with exceptional record keeping and organizational skills;
- Responsive and positive team player who enjoys versatility and constant new challenges;
- Excellent verbal, written, and analytical skills;
- An unwavering commitment to accuracy and results;
- Effective computer skills, including EveryAction, Quickbooks, Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Docs; and
- A strong commitment to racial equity, civic engagment, and Fair Count’s values.
Due to COVID-19, Fair Count’s 25+ employees are all teleworking. For now, Fair Count’s office is open to limited employees, including the Finance & Operations Manager, for limited hours. Fair Count has no expectation of opening the office up to regular work hours until August 1, 2021, at the earliest. While this has created some obstacles, Fair Count strives to creatively connect our team regularly:
- All staff members participate in several meetings throughout the day by Zoom and Google Hangouts; and
- Collaborative communication is encouraged through G-chat, Signal, email, etc.;
While some of our team lives out of state, the Finance & Operations Manager will need to be local to the office to check mail, file documents, prepare checks, etc.
Generally, office hours are typically 9:00 – 5:00, Monday through Friday. However, at times, evening and weekend hours will be needed to staff events, meet deadlines, and respond to extenuating circumstances. Such extension of hours is particularly true during heavy GOTC and GOTV endeavors.