Manager of External Affairs
- Experience Level
The National Women’s Law Center seeks an External Affairs Manager to work closely with the Director of External Affairs to manage and build the National Women’s Law Center’s corporate fundraising and communications program for engaging leading businesses, law firms and influencers, in order to raise critical resources for the organization and awareness of our work. In addition, this position will also support grasstops engagement and pro bono initiatives.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice—in the courts, in public policy, and in our society—working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us—especially women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For almost 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women. Find out more at NWLC.org.
- Serving in conjunction with the Director of External Affairs, as the primary staff liaison of NWLC’s Leadership Advisory Committee, a key group of ambassadors for the organization, through managing the planning and executing meetings, events, calls and communications.
- Managing a portfolio of companies and law firms giving at the $5,000 -$25,000 level, including existing and prospective donors, securing renewals and increasing their support over time.
- Researching and developing a pipeline of law firm and corporate donor prospects and assisting in cultivation and stewardship of existing donors.
- Participating in the development of corporate partnership proposals and reports.
- Managing and tracking a system for donor relationships and supporter engagement activities and working inter-departmentally to facilitate information sharing.
- Managing external outreach and project coordination for pro bono partnerships and grasstops engagement.
- Monitoring the impact of NWLC’s work and preparing prospect communications that reflect a compelling case for engagement with leaders in the business and legal communities.
- Serving as a key Development team liaison to the Senior Events Manager for execution of fundraising events as it relates to sponsorship solicitation, internal solicitation support processes and activation, as well as other cultivation event support as appropriate.
- Engaging in other fundraising and related initiatives as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- At least two years of relevant experience in nonprofit development, communications or other related positions;
- Strong research, and organizational skills, with strong eye for detail, and a thoughtful, creative and analytical approach to managing complex tasks;
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, provide solutions and work well with competing priorities, meet deadlines and achieve results, manage projects effectively, and manage workflow processes involving multiple people;
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, diverse and inclusive team setting, remaining flexible, resourceful and proactive;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and comfort with engaging in communications with prominent law firm and corporate leaders;
- Sound judgment and ability to exercise discretion when dealing with confidential information regarding the Center’s business and sensitive donor information;
- Fluency in MS Office programs, including Outlook and Excel;
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule when required.
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- A Bachelor’s degree;
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge (or similar database);
- Experience working with a major advocacy organization and/or within corporate fundraising or external stakeholder engagement;
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work.
The External Affairs Manager will report to the Director of External Affairs. The Manager will collaborate with the Vice President for Development, key program staff, as well as the President and CEO, Chief of Staff and COO, Vice President for Marketing & Communications, and colleagues in Development and Communications. The Manager will coordinate with Associates, Assistants and/or Interns on relevant projects.
A minimum salary of $70,730 will be provided to the successful candidate having at least two
years of experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC recognizes a staff bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in NWLC’s bargaining unit. Specific employment terms are subject to collective bargaining.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter and resume outlining your interests and qualifications. Resumes should include exact start and end dates (month and year) of employment. Please send application materials via e-mail to: EAManager@nwlc.org and include the position title in the subject line. Electronic submissions are preferred. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.