- Position Type
- Contract / Freelance
About the organization:
Healthy Building Network (HBN) is a national nonprofit that strives to improve human and environmental health by eliminating toxic chemical exposures.
HBN envisions a future where all people and the environment thrive when the environment is free of toxic chemicals, knowing that the impacts from chemical exposures fall disproportionately upon marginalized communities, people of color, low-income communities, and children.
Our goal is to create change by improving chemical hazard transparency and inspiring product innovation. Since 2000, HBN has been the leading national organization to pioneer technology platforms, research, and policies that elevate human health and environmental justice to a top priority in the green chemistry and safer product industry.
HBN is seeking a creative and digitally savvy Development Associate who can help the organization maintain and grow its donor and funder base. Success in this role may lead to a permanent position at HBN.
The Development Associate will work with the Chief Executive Officer on a full range of fund development activities for the organization including grant writing and reporting to public agencies, private foundations, individuals, and corporations. Specifically, this position is responsible for writing proposals for both unrestricted and restricted projects and for submitting timely and accurate reports for all existing grant funded projects.
Additionally, the Associate will be responsible for coordinating the internal resources for the HBN Leadership Circle, an annual giving initiative.
This position will be for 20+ hours per week and may eventually lead to a full time position depending on success in the role.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
- Perform foundation and corporate research to evaluate potential funding prospects.
- Ensure all grant reporting is completed as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Inform the finance department of reporting due to funders.
- Work with CEO and Senior Director of Communications and Marketing to provide regular written updates (newsletters, etc) to funders and donors
- Coordinate appointments for CEO with foundations and other prospective funders.
- Maintain current records in Salesforce, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Assist with other fundraising and communications projects as requested.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong written communication skills: ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals
- Strong editing skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies
- Experience with proposal and donor appeal writing
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources, such as the Foundation Directory
Ideal Candidate for Position will Have:
- Minimum of two years’ experience with successful grant writing.
- Previous experience with nonprofit fundraising.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Able to work well in a virtual team environment, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Location Flexible – HBN has employees located throughout the US
- Minimum 20 hours per week contract position that may lead to permanent employment based on success in role
How to apply:
Email a cover letter, resume, hourly rate, and writing sample (optional) in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, no phone calls.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.