Director of Programs
- Experience Level
Director of Programs
Note: L.E.A.D is seeking candidates based in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area with the ability to travel to different job locations and facilities in the metro area throughout the week.
L.E.A.D., Inc. is on a mission to empower Black boys to overcome crime, poverty and racism through the sport of baseball. Our model is to:
- LAUNCH student athletes towards educational opportunities after converting raw talent into the skills required for entry into college athletic programs.
- EXPOSE teens to service and local enrichment activities in order to instill a sense of responsibility, belonging and investment; key requirements for building a civically engaged individual.
- ADVISE players, coaches and parents on the process of effectively supporting dreams of playing baseball on the college level in addition to other post-secondary pathway guidance.
- DIRECT young men towards their promise by using the historical journey of past African American legends as the road map.
Our vision is to develop Black boys into Ambassadors who will lead their City of Atlanta to lead the world. To learn more about our programs and impact visit our website.
About the Director of Programs Role
We are seeking a Director of Programs to drive the vision for our three main programs: The Jr. Ambassadors, The Legacy League and The Ambassadors. As our first Director, you are responsible for day to day program excellence as well as evolving our programs to better serve our youth as we grow as an organization.
You will work directly with our student athletes, our volunteers, and our two co-founders on a small but agile team. The Director of Programs will sometimes be expected to be present at weekday practices, frequent Saturday programming, and all special events. This individual sets the tone for hard work and commitment, with a consistent presence in programs and willingness to work any hours that are required.
The right person for this role believes deeply in our mission, has ample program management experience, and is excited to help us build and grow our organization.
- Structured & systematic operator - you’re an expert at knowing your own systems and how you work best! Your organizational skills and detail orientation are your strengths that allow you to fit a wide variety of different tasks in your day to day.
- Resourceful problem solver - even with the best laid plans, you know that life throws curveballs! You don’t sweat it when the unexpected comes up, and you know how to create a thoughtful plan of action when the situation calls for it.
- Natural relationship builder - you have a knack for building relationships with people from all walks of life in many different settings. You love creating authentic connection, and recognize that this is key to building trust.
- Intentional leader - over the years you have developed an effective and intentional leadership style that is true to your own personality. You are comfortable taking charge, yet also know when to step back or ‘lead from behind’, because both are key to great leadership.
- Lifelong learner - You feel that there is always room to learn from those around you. Your curiosity, listening skills, and approach to feedback are the key tools that enable you to grow.
Program Management, Excellence, and Effectiveness
- Partner with the Executive Director to develop and drive our programmatic vision to improve and ensure program rigor, quality, and ultimately, positive outcomes for our youth
- This work will include but is not limited to collaborating on program design, building and reviewing program curriculum and agendas, and providing guidance and innovating to strengthen each program
- Lead the team to manage day to day program activities and maintain a consistent presence with partners, volunteers, staff, and our youth
- Oversee and ensure excellence of all program logistics and coordination, and help develop scalable systems for program management as we grow
- Implement new programs, events and initiatives as needed to improve program quality and outcomes
- Document processes and procedures for program operations to build sustainability and replicability of our model
Evaluation, Grants Management, and Results Based Accountability
- Mobilize L.E.A.D. data to provide clarity and insight into current metrics and create new metrics as revealed
- Lead our Evidenced Based, Results Based Accountability process, and improve strategies to reach outcomes for youth
- Develop and refine our measurement systems, tools, and processes for tracking and reporting outcomes for both quantitative and qualitative program results
- Develop a process of program evaluation that includes data and input from all internal members of the organization, especially our youth
- Manage grant deliverables, compliance and reporting
- Oversee and manage the budget
Organizational Leadership, Staff Management & Development
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to uphold and communicate L.E.A.D.’s mission, vision and values throughout the organization
- Supervise, evaluate, and develop all program staff in service of L.E.A.D.’s vision and values
- Participate in recruiting and hiring of all program staff
- Develop trainings and professional development opportunities to increase the effectiveness of both staff and volunteers to ensure they have the tools, knowledge, and resources to deliver high quality positive youth development programming within the discipline of sports-based youth development
- Oversee completion of deliverables, tasks, and deadlines by all team members
- Promote teamwork across programs and collaboration with the community
- Manage employees’ and volunteers’ time and responsibilities and submit payroll
Background & Skills
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Basic understanding of racial inequality and its generational effects on Black youth
- Ability to advocate for Black youth from marginalized communities in a respectful, empowering and uplifting way
- Experience working with youth and in youth programming
- Bachelor’s Degree in Organizational Development, Education, Social Work, or related field required
- Minimum of five years’ experience of progressive program management experience at a nonprofit organization
- Employee management and training experience
- Expertise in program evaluation, outcomes measurements, and results-based accountability
- Grants management experience (at least three years)
- Wealth of knowledge and experience (at least three years) in sports-based youth development, positive youth development and best practices in program design and development
- Exceptional writing, speaking, and computer skills for crafting communications with partners and funders
- Ample experience managing program logistics, including vendor and volunteer management
- Proficiency using Excel and the ability to learn and utilize cloud-based tools to track program metrics (such as attendance, grade averages, student rosters, etc.)
How to apply
If our mission resonates with you, please send your resume and response to the short answers below to email@example.com. Please specify "Director of Programs" in the subject, and include short answers (150 words or less) to the following questions in lieu of a formal cover letter:
- Why do you want to work at LEAD?
- Why does our mission resonate with you?