Deputy Press Secretary / Press Secretary
- Experience Level
Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country, is seeking a passionate, dedicated professional to join our team as Deputy Press Secretary or Press Secretary. The position will support the political initiatives of Everytown for Gun Safety and is perfect for a candidate with a strong rolodex of reporters, excellent organizational skills, experience working in a campaign-like environment, and a passion for pitching and media relations.
In this role you will:
- Pitch and land stories about Everytown’s political work
- Keep national reporters appraised of Everytown’s initiatives
- Triage and respond to incoming press requests
- Work with partner organizations to develop and roll out political communications plans
- Support the development and execution of communications strategy around polling and paid media
- Secure interviews across media platforms for Everytown spokespeople
- Identify and pitch long-lead stories about trends in the gun violence prevention landscape, with a particular focus on combating misinformation and how Everytown’s work impacts and compares with the gun lobby
Ideal candidates will have a proven track record of pitching and landing stories in top tier outlets, spotting trends and shaping media narratives, and the ability to develop a robust network of reporter contacts. Candidates should be able to understand and synthesize complex policies for both a reporter and volunteer audience, and have experience in writing talking points, press releases, opinion pieces, and more. Organization and strong writing skills are required, as is the ability to juggle multiple projects at a time and work interdepartmentally to keep projects on track. Experience landing coverage of paid media and polling is a plus.
- 3-5 years of communications experience
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills, with the ability to juggle multiple priorities gracefully
- Excellent writing ability
- A strong rolodex of reporters and ability to develop reporter relationships
- An interest in working effectively across various media platforms
- Experience in working on a political campaign considered a plus, but not required
- Willingness to work with a growing team in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment (sometimes unpredictable hours and crisis situations)
- Be a dynamic team player and maintain a sense of humor
- While not required, an interest of gun violence prevention issues is a plus
- Position is based in New York City or Washington, D.C.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.